Monday, February 2, 2015

a corbie cowl


... in which our plucky heroine adds to the ever-so-useful wardrobe of warm wool accessories...

The yarn for this project was a gift in 2013, and the finished cowl will warm my neckline as much the friendship warms my heart.
Adding a small picot edging as a bind off, while not part of the original pattern instructions, would fit nicely with the "corbie cowl" theme of this project. The picot bind-off instructions on this website were very clear.

The first gentle steam blocking serves to smooth the plain stockinette stitches, and to start evening out the picot edging. The Blue Moon Raven Clan yarn is a delight to work with; the fabric it knits up into has a wonderful soft drapey hand without feeling at all flimsy, and the variegated color is so well dyed that the slight pooling only adds to the feathery nightsky effect.

These lovely pale indigo blue mother of pearl vintage buttons, to fasten (or not) the split turtleneck...

the second blocking of the corbie cowl, to help set the shape...

There is much to be said for a knitting project that is uncomplicated enough to be completed in two weeks, particularly when the local weather has finally returned to a more normal damp and blustery coldness. The January "thaw", while allowing for shirtsleeves and bike rides, was quite worrisome in terms of summer drought.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful cowl. I am thinking of making it to see if I can wear it. My neck is quite short so will do a mock up that can be given away prior to deciding if I want to make a nice one for myself. Love your picot cast off and will try to remember to do it when I make this cowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my advice, if you have a shorter neck, would be to modify the turtleneck portion and make it either shorter, or even a "mock" turtleneck, and just choose a suitable length and not have the overlap or the fold-over, but still have the nice warm shoulders and neckline. That would be an easy adaptation of the pattern, just stop the ribbed knit portion when it is a good length for yourself... I actually made the neck portion longer, because I have a long neck in proportion to my size

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful Alison. Uncomplicated? Not for me, sadly - but it would be so useful in our current cold and icy weather. Its good to see you more 'up beat' this week. The gift of the wool must have helped to restore your faith in friendship. Your recent experience with your old friend must have been really upsetting, but you dealt with it so philosophically. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I forget sometimes that not everyone has been knitting since they were a child, like I have... and compared to Fox Paws, which took me three months, this seemed easy! I am usually pretty cheerful, and am really blessed with my many friends... I'd been hanging on to this yarn for over a year, waiting to find just the right pattern to do it justice.

      Delete
  3. Ooh that's really nice and I can imagine you wearing it in the neckline of your various outfits to keep warm and cosy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete