Monday, January 20, 2020

cancerversary

in which our plucky heroine looks back and a little forward...

eight bonus years in the bright world, and I never take it for granted:


※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 card for Bera better light in workroombag to Goodwill
2 Awesome Sauceimprove dotted necklinepaper recycling
3 horses blousebutton replaced bag to Goodwill
4 Wanda ring
- -
5 charter #1- -
6 x x
x
7 x x
x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I'm still alive. Eight years ago I was just waking up after some pretty scary surgery

Friday, January 17, 2020

Friday fragments

in which our plucky heroine is doing a bit better today, as long as I don't have to put on a hat or touch the back of my head. Washing my hair was an unpleasant surprise. My joints are still pretty sore, but definitely improving as well. Arnica is my friend.
※※※

made progress on the grey wool capelet/gollar... I cut out the already modified pattern pieces, same as I used for the my rain capelet, but this time using a finely woven brushed grey herringbone wool for the outer layer instead of Goretex. For the inner layer, I looked through my shelf of melton cloth pieces, all of which are from the late lamented actual "mill ends" formerly available at a local fabric store years ago. I picked a deep chocolate brown, thinking that would be a great coordinate for a chunk of my wardrobe. I noticed that it felt different than most of the other melton, somehow "silkier"... which would make it feel wonderful against my neck... and then I noticed that it had a different mark on the selvedge:

Much to my surprise, I had a luscious piece of cashmere from Amicale Fabrics! Since the piece wasn't big enough to make an entire garment, I feel no qualms about using it to line my capelet; it will bring me a great deal of everyday pleasure as well as warmth. I've stitched the lining pieces together, and stitched the outer layer pieces together. Today, I've taken some time to stitch the black wool edge binding in place, and once that is done, and some heavy hooks and eyes added to the center front, it will be a great warm piece to wear around the Very Chilly house this winter.
※※※

After experimentation this year, have decided that best for candied peel IMHO is pommelo... the extra thick peel is also extra absorbent, and makes the most succulent confection. The pommelo are all gone from the store now, so I will make some grapefruit to go with the other candied peel. Half of what I make will go to my dad, and the rest will be put aside for next years fruitcake.
※※※

My new automatic LED herb planter is beginning to function. Small basil plant is from Trader Joe's, and the arugula seeds are sprouting! I think that I might need a new packet of cilantro seeds though, since they are not doing anything (they were from 2018)

※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 card for Bera better light in workroombag to Goodwill
2 Awesome Sauceimprove dotted necklinepaper recycling
3 horses blousebutton replaced bag to Goodwill
4 Wanda ring
- -
5 charter #1- -
6 x x
x
7 x x
x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - random fabric stash wonder... cashmere!!

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

I don't bounce

in which our plucky heroine has a mishap...

Well that was unfortunate, though it could have been worse. Somehow while sitting at my worktable, I turned and ended up sliding off my chair and onto the floor, falling a bit twisted and walloping my head on the shelves behind! I think I had turned to get the chuck key to the flex shaft, which had fallen to the floor, little knowing that I would soon follow it! Now I am rather sore in all my joints, with a bruise on the back of my head, and have been using arnica and other remedies for clumsy foolish folks. Hopefully in a few days I will feel like myself again
※※※

I have cut out the pieces for my grey shoulder wool shoulder capelet, and started looking at and measuring the pattern pieces for my grey canvas chore coat, both for SWAP. The capelet will be a Very Fast Sew, as I've already used the same pattern for my rain capelet, and am quite satisfied with both how it fits and with how it looks. The chore coat, (Frenchglen Barn Jacket however, will definitely require at least one go round with muslin, as my size and proportion are not matched well with the pattern. I'm using the measurements from my worn out venerable rain jacket as a guide to proportioning the new pattern, as the former is a good size for wearing in transitional seasons and over a knitted cardigan in the winter.
※※※

First time in decades I created a ring setting, to re-set this medieval Pelican artifact. Signet is 7mm in diameter, ring is sterling silver, size 7. The artifact had been poorly welded? to a ring shank. which failed; the current owner asked me to create a setting that would hold the signet more securely, and allow it to be used (if desired) as a seal... my confidence in my abilities is restored, and my client is quite pleased with the now wearable ring... as two of my goals for the year are to close open loops and to increase my studio time on metalwork/enameling efforts, it feels like a good start to the year so far...

removed the old ring shank, started a bezel setting


new ring setting ready to assemble
※※※

January SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 card for Bera better light in workroombag to Goodwill
2 Awesome Sauceimprove dotted necklinepaper recycling
3 horses blousebutton replaced -
4 Wanda ring
- -
5 charter #1- -
6 - -
-
7 x x
x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I'm sore, but nothing broken or torn