Sunday, October 5, 2014

progress leaps ahead...


... in which our plucky heroine washes a LOT of dishes...

The amount of work that was accomplished this weekend was EPIC! My Blue Cedar House pals were here again, along with their daughter, and also my friend Sharon C (five folks make a really full house, but we are planning on adding in another two for their next visit over TurkeyDay weekend next month...) In addition, while not all the needful fabric has been acquired, there was enough to sort out and choose which would be used for the sewing worktrade. (The plan is for me to have completed enough clothes for their family to attend a weekend long SCA event by next camping season) Still need linen for several woman-sized underdresses, and probably something sturdy for a few pairs of tall man-size fighter pants...
:::

As part of my efforts to declutter and improve the small bedroom/guest room/sewing room, a shelf to hold the sewing machines for easy access and storage was planned:
the idea was to make a shelf that was sturdy enough to remain stable while holding the sewing machines... William R came up with an efficient and clever plan to use materials already on hand as leftover from former projects, and the thin plywood top is reinforced with crosspieces of one-by wood, to make the entire shelf vastly more stout and strong...

The new shelf in place, looking much like my initial idea, and at a suitable height so as to make it easy to pick up a machine for use, or to set them down again for storage. (I still need to give some thought to how to usefully anchor the machines against earthquakes, probably with some combination of hardware and rope/bungees; fabric falling from shelves is soft, machines falling from shelves likely break)
:::

Mindy worked more of her magic in the yard, and the small raised bed that Debra brought over is now neatly bookending the persimmon tree out on the parking strip, and currently filled with leaves and compost, waiting for a plan for what will live there...

In the older bed on the other side of the persimmon, the two plant babies Deb brought over here are now in the ground: borage, and "wax flower". I plan on filling the rest of this planter with garlic for the winter growing season, and covering the top with wire to make it less attractive to the neighborhood cats!

The north side yard, aka the dry season clothesdryer... Mindy moved the self-watering planters out of the fenceline, since that area gets NO sun in the wintertime, so nothing much grows along there till the year turns. Self watering planters were moved to along the fence in the back yard near the pear tree, a temporary home. These need renewed with more potting soil and compost, and some more thought given to an improved and more permanent location for them...
..
:::

For years now I have wanted a "salad table", a standing height growing bench for flats of greens. Inspired by the instructions on the UMaryland Extension site, and by the idea of separate internal trays from this site, I drew up plans that would take advantage of the stash of 2x4's and the skillful help of Bill Robertson.

Now there is a nice Sturdy Salad Table framework that fits at the end of my front porch, where it can take advantage of the wintertime light. I still need to build the internal trays/flats that will fit inside the tabletop, but those are both smaller and easier for me to make with hand tools.
:::

Am somewhat concerned that the irregularity in the tendons in my left hand seem to becoming worse instead of improving. I plumb hate it when something internal suddenly goes all cattywhompus for no apparent reason. Time for more needles I suspect, since my favorite topical anti-inflammatory is not being much help. Sadly, this means that the knitting must needs go on temporary hiatus, just when it was starting to become really delightful to play with...
:::
Tomorrow is Bill-Squared Day, being the natal day of two of my three favorite Bills...
:::
October SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 gown muslin for L sewing machine shelf yardwaste bin
2 * salad table base ----------
3 * small raised bed ----------
4 * * ----------
5 * * ----------
6 * *  ----------
7 * ---------- ----------
8 * ---------- ----------
9 * ---------- ----------
10 * ---------- ----------
:::

7 comments:

  1. How satisfying to get so many things done that needed doing. I was intrigued to read you plan to grow borage. I've been using moisturizer containing borage and am extremely happy with it. Googling "borage wrinkle prevent" I read that it is helpful not only for wrinkles but for reddened skin also. I've wondered if home-made borage products might be possible and wonder if that is one of your plans? So many products irritate my skin but borage doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used borage on my skin, but the flowers are both beautiful and edible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your place is coming together nicely! I like the idea of the salad table - I may have to look into that for some herbs next spring.

    I'm curious - what make is the sewing machine on the left side of your picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sewing machine on the left is my faithful Bernette 330, purchased new back in the 80's and a real workhorse... I love the newer-to-me Bernina as well, but have feet for the Bernette that I use on a regular basis, like the walking foot. I call the older machine "Bernie" and the newer one "Nina"...

      Delete
    2. It looks remarkably like the machine I learned to sew on, an Eaton's Viking EZ-8. Eaton's was a family owned Canadian department store, which unfortunately is no longer around. From what I can gather, they sold the "Viking" name to Husqvarna.

      Delete
  4. The salad table is excellent - what an inspiration! We have been planning some "salad shelves" built in to a wall on the west side of our deck. But that's for next year I guess since this year is nearing its end, even though the weather is still glorious! That shelf for sewing machines and fabric is extremely wonderful. . . soon you will be completely organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire - actually this is a good time of year to put in greens for the winter, things like kale and chard and even some lettuces will grow albeit slowly during most of the winter... so I am hoping to get the inner trays made and acquire some potting soil to fill them. Several garden shops around here have starts of greens suitable for winter growing too... Another thing I plan to do is to buy a bunch or two of green onions and start some: you just cut off the lower white part (about two or three inches) and plant them... they continue growing and make whole green onion plants that grow for months and months

      I am VERY happy with the sewing machine shelf, having something I imagined turn out so much like my vision! The initial "rough" declutter of Acorn Cottage is about maybe almost halfway done. Once most of the really-do-not-need is gone, the next step is the "fine" sort and organise which will really make it possible for me to find things! It was interesting that the folks who came to visit noticed how much more open the house looked though, since I live with it every day, I don't notice as much

      Delete