Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine endures...

This is the time of year for endurance. The weather is steadily hot, though the acquisition this week of two new box fans has made mitigation a little more possible. If my life allowed me to become nocturnal, that would be ideal, as the coolest part of the day is just before dawn... This is not the best time of year to enamel, but there is more enameling on the horizon...
:::

Didn't do as much SCA sewing this summer as I'd hoped for, but sure as the wheel turns round, it is now time for the Autumn 6PAC sewalong over at Stitcher's Guild. I must needs make some new clothing, as my everyday wardrobe is looking more and more shabby. Fortunately this fits in with my goal of decluttering and organising the sewing/guest room which now that the workroom is orderly, is becoming a higher priority...

That room is quite small (9ft x 10ft) and already has shelves to hold fabric, and a folding futon couch to hold guests. It currently also has a hollow core door along one wall, intended to be a place to sew, which never worked well as a sewing space. Once I clear away the various boxes and piles of things, I can move the futon-couch to the wall that doesn't have an outlet, and remove the hollow core door table. I just don't like sitting facing the wall when I work, so instead, I drag my sewing machine to the dining table, or now, to the big worktable in the studio. It occurred to me that the back bedroom will look more welcoming to my fairly frequent house guests if is is more open; and if I have a folding table, or a small table on casters, I can sit in the middle of the guest room and look outwards, and put away the sewing machine(s) when I have guests...

Earlier this week, had an inspiration, that once the room was clutter-cleared, that in addition to removing the hollowcore door "table", moving the futon couch to the wall that did not have any outlets would make using the sewing machines and the ironing board a lot easier! Did a quick sketch on one of the everpresent index cards, so as to remember the idea...

Then did a slightly more thoughtful design drawing, and it does look like this might be a way to get a room that is a peaceful and appealing guest space as well as a place to store fabric and textile supplies... with a suitable folding table, could even sit on the couch and sew... After posting on FB and SG, had more ideas and feedback, as well as the offer of a free small folding made-for-sewing table, and an option to buy a larger study heavy modern gate-leg table (which will probably go in the workroom instead)

A rough floor plan makes the challenge clear enough, the lack of floor space is the real issue, since I need to be able to use the futon couch, which even when folded up, takes up about a quarter of the room...
:::

July was more of a success in sending things away than in either fixing things or making things, most likely because there were two major SCA events that month, and two days where my friend Kaitlin came over to help me organise and declutter the workroom. Still, each months progress increases the totals, and each month I make more progress on catching up to towards the desired goals

July SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 1st wool cardweaving hem on red silk gown bag to paper recycling
2 blue Pel Laurel green undergown mended bag to paper recycling
3 two orb enamels bicycle area cleared bag to paper recycling
4 * LED switch repaired bag to Goodwill
5 * * bag to Goodwill
6 * * bag to Goodwill
7 * * cardboard recycled
8 ---------- * cardboard recycled
9 ---------- * bag to Goodwill
10 ---------- ---------- cardboard recycled
11 ---------- ---------- yardwaste
12 ---------- ---------- *
:::

shiney and new: August SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * ----------
8 * * ----------
9 * * ----------
10 ---------- * ----------
:::

No comments:

Post a Comment