Sunday, April 20, 2014

Great Big Squid bag update...


Our plucky heroine is still gradually sorting through the photos from her trip to visit family, but my carry-along handwork project is almost finished:
This was the perfect thing to bring along on a long cross-country train trip… time for our plucky heroine to get in lots of practice with the two-handed fair isle technique; the technique now has become very natural, after three weeks occasional pickup work. The bag will look a lot better/smoother once it is actually finished and the knitting has been blocked...

Am just doing some extempore finishing of the upper edge and the bottom edge now, since I only printed out the image chart and not the actual bag pattern, I am making it up as I go… will do a drawstring top rather than open as the pattern shows, I have little use for bags that don’t close, whilst colorful decorative knitted pouches are a wonderful way to keep travel necessities organised, and tourney season is fast approaching...

back of bag has a different design than the pictorial front...

3 comments:

  1. This clinches it! You ARE plucky! Two handed Fair Isle knitting AND a X-country train ride (both directions I imagine). Very persistent and plucky! The Big Squid is looking very very squiddy. I can't wait to see the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the squid bag! The colours remind me of my homegrown woad and madder dyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both so much for the compliments! Claire, I somehow hadn't thought about how the two handed fair isle and the back and forth on the train were actually connected... knitting in two directions and travelling in two directions :-) I do wish I also somehow had had time to complete my 2014 SWAP plans as well, but will dig into sewing later this year... Louisa, I think that these colors in real life are rather a bit brighter than what I think of as woad and madder, but as the photo gets translated into an online image the colors change each time, and then, I am not at all an experienced natural dyer...

    ReplyDelete