in which our plucky heroine realises that she forgot to include any pattern information with my storyboard! While I did not actually design any of the tops or pinafores, most of the patterns are pretty seriously modified from their original state, in style as well as in fit.

tops in order from left to right:
- TNT - modified Kwik Sew 3120*, to be made with a mixture of black and grey knits, including the Nikki McClure crow, all in reverse applique Alabama Chanin style (this will be my "begin after the rules are announced" allowed garment).
- EasternWestern shirt, to be made with multiple printed fabrics in brown and indigo, including my precious Liberty lawn...
- La Fred Athena blouse, to be made from black floral lawn
- TeagardenT**, to be made from micro-striped hemp knit in black and cream
- TNT - modified Vogue 2545***, probably made from indigo linen
- TNT - modified Kwik Sew 3120, made from brown cotton jersey, modified to add the Katherine Tilton neckline
** the Teagarden T is a wonderful and graceful pattern, as long as you are not afraid of gussets. Since our plucky heroine is quite familiar with such constructions from her SCA clothing, gussets hold no terrors for me, and indeed, only serve to make clothing more comfortable, which is ever one of my primary goals. I've adjusted the pattern to suit my womanly curves, and need to do a bit of further letting out, since the last time I made this pattern up was maybe ten years ago...
*** another old but good basic, the only part I kept from the original pattern was the bias-cut sleeveless top, which I promptly generated a sleeve pattern for. Because the front is cut on the bias, and the back has a CB seam which allows for shaping, this is a very versatile top. I've made it with either an assymetric bias front (as designed), or converted to a CF seam with mirrored bias fronts. In addition, I use this top as teh bodice of my TNT dress pattern, clearly shown in this stripey version
bottoms in order from left to right:
- pinafore #1* - TNT - heavily modified McCalls 7730, made up in black textured stripey not-corduroy, (this is the allowed "pre-made" item)
- ur-jumper - Butterick 3849 "Betsey Johnson:Young Designer", to be made from the textured wool black ticked with cream. This pattern has been graded up to current size, still needs to be muslined and fit...
- pinafore #2** - TNT - modified self designed pattern, to be made in indigo denim
- overall jumper***- TNT - modified self designed pattern, to be made in brown heavy brushed cotton twill
* long ago, this pattern fell under my scissors and muslin to become a pinafore instead, the wide high shoulders were transmogrified into a more fitted bodice, whilst keeping the nice seam details, particularly the diagonal seam between the upper side bodice and skirt. I have lost count of how many of these I have made over the years.
** this design was originally an inexpensive purchased sundress, which caught my eye with the interesting use of spaghetti straps combined with binding. I am a real fan of using bias binding for edges and hems, and this design lets me finish all the edges that way. Sometimes I even bind the edges of the patch pockets, too...
***I had a pair of denim overalls about fifteen years ago, which fit loosely but were actually cut to fit my curvy figure. When they wore out, I turned them into an overall jumper, using the pant legs for parts of the skirt, and adding in more denim, in that time-honored 60's style. When they finally wore to pieces, I took a pattern from them, and have rarely been without either overalls or overall jumper since then.
Since both of my current ones are worn out, it is time for a new set of overalls, which will be made in either the black or the indigo denim which my visiting friends gifted me with this weekend. (They know me too well) The overall jumper will be made from some of the heavy brown brushed cotton twill, possibly trimmed or topstitched in black.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed