Monday, March 4, 2019

this is a solid color...

in which our plucky heroine recieves some clarification...

As is obvious, the Sólbein cardigan is only partway there...
Laid out atop a handknit cardigan (dark grey with a running horse on the back, mostly obsucured in this photo) that fits me, I am uncertain what parts will need additional length once I actually finish the yoke... probably the sleeves, and maybe the body will need another inch or so. Most folks make these sweaters all in one piece either bottom up or top down, I just have to do things my own peculiar way sometimes...

After posting my dilemma about is this solid color or patterned, the coordinator of SWAP 2109 called it as a solid, pointing out that the completed cardigan would happily be worn with a print. So yay!! this gives me a bit more leeway to also include the additional printed blouses I want to make. Still need to decide on at least one more solid color garment.

Had an idea today, about a third option, in addition to possibly either a knit fabric top, or pair of leggings... could use the rest of the brushed brown twill fabric, if there is enough of it, to make a kind of "chore coat". Back when I was in high school, there was a vogue for wearing Carhartt jackets, which always seemed uber practical to me (all those pockets, and the option to button in a warm lining). I could modify my shirt pattern, lengthen it a bit and make the sleeves full length as well, and maybe add the double pockets from Carolyn's blog. Would be a good option to also use the motorcycle jacket armscye gussets as well, in order to increase mobility. (this would be a great option for a bicycle riding jacket, for times when it wasn't raining or bitter cold... hmmm....)

6 comments:

  1. Glad that's worked out in a way that fits what you want to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruthie! I really get all tangled up in "does this fit the rules" and maybe could just go with "what do I want to sew, that works with my own wardrobe" but I sort of love the challenge of making both of those be true!

      Delete
  2. Excellent approach to consider not whether it *is* a print or a solid, but rather would you *wear* it with a print or a solid (or both). It's exciting to see it so far along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the reason I asked online and the coordinator, is that I tend to be a bit out there in the combinations I am willing to wear.

      I am so not a fast knitter, but with luck, this will be done this month. Now I just hope that I will have enough of the dark blue yarn. I order my Lopi and Lettlopi from a yarn source in Britain, (even with postage it is much cheaper than US sources) as I would hate to have to order more... fingers crossed...

      Delete
  3. Just investigated the pocket link and am now obsessed! Those double pockets are fantastic! I've been terrified of welt pockets, but these seem like a great way to jump in, since they are created before being attached to the rest of the garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... the idea of getting the whole pocket put together first makes it feel very doable, and if there is a goof-up, one is only out the pocket, not the whole jacket!

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed