Sunday, March 3, 2019

sleepy Sunday + fabric frustration

in which our plucky heroine suffered so much wind chill that my fingers turned blue pinning up my laundry outside to dry in the cold sunny windy day...


Colorwork patterning on the cardigan yoke is about 80% completed. Once that is done, I can line up the sleeve and body pieces, as well as the yoke, on the handknit cardigan that does fit me, and see what is what. There will probably be some assorted adjustments to make at that point, before attaching everything together. Final part will be to steek the center front, and pick up and knit the front bands and loops for the toggles, block the sweater, then sew the toggles in place.
※※※

Had to take the buttons off my striped garter stitch vest, since one had fallen off and been lost, and there wes nothing similar enough in the button box. Substituted in some faux tortoise shell suit buttons from who knows where. but the removed dark warm brown buttons will be ideal for the dark blue/multicolor floral lawn blouse soon to be made. No great loss without some gain.
※※※

I'm feeling a bit frustrated, not with my plan, but with what to do about the final unresolved piece...

As my SWAP plan stands now, I will have two cardigans, one hand knit in shades of blue and one hand stitched indigo/brown (both count as prints), two pinafores one indigo and one brown, two indigo dresses, three blouses (two count as prints), and a knit top (print #5). I need one more garment to make up the eleven. I guess I should just continue ahead with the yest unfinished pieces I do know will be part of SWAP, and continue to mull over what options would work with the rules, the gaps in my wardrobe, and with the fabric I currently have on hand that fits the rules.

There is a length of solid brown ribbed cotton jersey that could be made into something, possibly leggings, and some plain cotton jersey, also brown. The only indigo/navy plain fabrics I have on hand are other chunks of linen, intended to make SCA clothing, I am already including two plain color pinafores in my two neutrals, and that will bring my total number of pinafores in my closet up to eight, which is right where I want to be. Goal is to have eight each of the garments I wear*, a goal I have been working towards for many years now.

What I want to do is to make one more print blouse, using my prize fabric, but that puts me over the top for numbers of printed and/or patterned SWAP garments. I could make another brown jersey top, but I don't really need any more knit tops right now, I have plenty, because I also sometimes actually purchase them RTW (when they have colors that coordinate with my palette, not pinks and purples!). Probably the best option I can figure right now would be to make a second pair of brown leggings for cold weather. I know I would wear them, although they are boring they are also quick to sew.

today's gratitude - wool blankets and a feather comforter on the bed

*pinafore, everyday dress, popover dress, blouse, knit top, leggings...


2 comments:

  1. Are you sure your knitted cardigan will have to be counted as a print? Didn't I read that tweed fabric can count as a neutral? I would take a photo of it from a bit of a distance when you have the parts lined up to check for fit and see how they read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure, and I will be asking in the "rules" section for clarification... the part shown in this photo is the yoke, the yoke and cuffs are patterned in a gradient, and the body and sleeves of the sweater are a deep blue, so I don't know...

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed