Despite having exponential increase* in my pain levels, which rather severely curtailed some of the planned weekend activity, there were still some excellent times with my northern friends. Isabel brought her daughter, and on Saturday afternoon Genevieve wanted to make some block printed trim for her SCA clothes. We set up a work station and she took an assortment of my tiny blocks and printed (in multiple colors) enough trim yardage to decorate two gowns.
Genevieve asked if carving her own blocks was an option, so that is planned for a future visit... she has many things she wants to learn, where I could be a mentor; her mom and I talked about a Craft Camp here sometime during a school break, when she could come and stay for longer than a weekend
Saturday night we returned to Enat Kitchen, our favorite Ethiopian restaurant, and enjoyed a delightful feast of tasty lamb bits in two very different iterations, as well as salad and injera. Nom nom nom! Early bedtime, because time change the next day.
Isabel had spent time Saturday pulling out the fence stakes and tidying the former chicken zone, and we gathered more cardboard to underlay future expansion of the wood chips in the backyard. Because it was very cold Sunday morning, instead of yardwork first, we all three worked on another crafty activity, bead stringing...
These bead swag strands each will hang between the two brooches that fasten the "apron-dress", to decorate their Viking era norse clothing for events this summer. Isabel strung the lower strand, using beads she has been collecting, and supplemented with some from my supplies.
Genevieve strung the upper strand, and I gave her an assortment of possible beads to choose from out of what I have on hand. I always forget how much longer it takes to learn a new skill, and to choose which beads are desired, so they both spent several hours happily stringing beads.
I managed to restring the ends of my own bead swag, which really were in need of improvement. I had last strung them at least twenty years ago, and have been wanting for several years to replace the antler discs and amber chips for shaped beads more historically plausible.
my bead swag is the bottom one, and the various charms and coins hanging from it are either organization insignia, awards, or souvenirs of special occasions
※※※
March SMART goals (x=extra)
March SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | charter #2 | stripey vest buttons | chicken wire |
| 2 | 2 tiny enamels | bead swag ends | - |
| 3 | blue floral blouse | x | - |
| 4 | x | x | - |
| 5 | x | x | x |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - living long enough to be a Virtual Great Aunt...
* stupid ankle pain, back to the level 8+ that it was in the beginning, bad enough that I decided to take Vitamin I (aka ibuprofen) despite the horrid effects it has on my systems, just so I could try and get some sleep. ankle hot, and is obviously swollen. I am icing it 3 x a day. In too much pain to do any of my PT... this is not okay, will be phoning my medical clinic Monday.




Very sorry your ankle had a relapse, and after you made so much progress! I feel your pain--have spent the morning trying to get an appointment with foot doctor because of trouble walking, but no, insurance insists I must see the PCP for a referral. So that means two painful walking trips instead of one...
ReplyDeleteI may have asked you this before but what type of paint do you use for printing/stamping on fabrics? Is it a standard textile paint or something you mix up yourself?
Katrina - I am so sorry that your insurance has such rigid rules, and I hope that your walking pain is soon resolved and improved.
DeleteI have two different types of paint I prefer for use on fabric. I first started with Jacquard Textile Color, and Jacquard Neopaque. Jacquard is a long standing manufacturer of dyes and paints for use on textiles, and I have been very happy with the results over time. You do need to heat set the painted stamped or stenciled decoration to have it last, but it holds up really well over the life of the garment. Recently I have started using Speedball Fabric Inks, (which are oil based, but clean up with water) as they are designed specifically for block printing on fabric. The ink doesn't dry out as fast when in use, which is really helpful. OTOH, the ink needs to be applied to the block using a brayer, rather than setting up a stamp pad, so requires a bit more supplies - and, the printed fabric needs to sit for at least a day or several, until the printed part has dried completely. The particular good thing about the Speedball inks is that they do not need to be heat set, but once a week has gone by, they are washable. I will be curious to find out how well they hold up over time compared to the Jacquard products, but I find Speedball is much easier to use, for me at least.