Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Viking Age bags and other things


in which our plucky heroine picks up an unfinished project...

Started making a strap today for the Viking age bag I was working on last year, (the one with the wooden handles). I unearthed some thin top-grain leather strips in my misc craft stash, and realised that would be excellent to complete the project.

I will braid the ends where the strap goes through the bag handles, weave a stopper knot on each end, and add a second layer to the flat portion. Considering doing some leather stamping/tooling as well, since this is vegetable tanned leather and suitable for suchlike...

.
the bag interior opening, and bag prior to assembly
:::

may history not be forgotten - Kent State, May 4 1970
In some ways it feels like just yesterday, and in other ways it feels like it was a different world, a world filled with hope and horror intertwined. I was halfway through high school...
I am less hopeful now, not just because how young I was then, but because overarching cultural choices have created greater planetary environmental degradation, in the intervening decades. Still, where there is breath there is some hope, and we all continue to do the best we can, to make a healing difference where we can, and to choose the actions that can repair what we can reach.
:::

not quite all the way carved block, 4" dia, part of an intended set of three... the original (woven, wool and linen tapestry, 6th-7thC) fabric has little winged ponies facing in both directions, with the interstitial blocks being striped hearts! I couldn't resist...

and a picture of one of the original 6th - 7th C tapestry roundels
for more images, check out the museum that holds the original tapestry fragments, which were part of a pair of pants. Scroll down the page to find the image link on the bottom row...
:::

Took a bit of time this evening to shift three tomato cages over the feral rosebushes, which should help contain them in a more upright configuration, rather than allowing them to sprawl in a tangled mass all over the south side of the yard. Last summer there was much sharp pokey macrame in an attempt to do something similar; the steel wire cages, applied much earlier in the year, will hopefully save my fingers and arms!
:::

1 yd narrow trim samples at three different levels of complexity: 1 color/1 block, 2 color/3 block, and 3 color/2 block + dots. My intention was to time the process in various iterations, to come up with possible cost, which works out to 10/15/20 per yard; will have to make up some samples to see if there is any interest...
:::

May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 printed trim samples caged feral roses -
2 - - -
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -


3 comments:

  1. What labor was lavished on that pair of pants! Thank you for the most interesting link. (It would be more interesting if I understood the French language.) I like your sensibility, pouring care and artistry into usable items that can be frequently worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that most of the artifacts that have survived, were the equivalent of high couture, not the clothing that was worn by everyday people in distant eras... I do not read French either, but Google Translate has helped me to suss out some details. I really ought put some effort into refurbishing my own everyday clothing, but I have been having way too much fun with my assorted other hobbies right now

      Delete
  2. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative..
    designer handbags made in italy

    ReplyDelete