Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday fragments


in which our plucky heroine notices improvement:

It feels like I am living in the middle of a storm of creativity lately, as if the tide has finally turned from the long drought that began with my cancer diagnosis four years ago...

Russ wanted to paint a heraldic banner for his wife, similar to the one that I made for him as part of Sekrit Santa last year, and asked me if I was willing to draw up the design. I of course said yes, because A: heraldic drawing is one of my superpowers, B: because more heraldic banners and suchlike adds pageantry to the game we are playing, and C: because Russ is all sorts of helpful, so my being able to help him is a good thing!

I ended up using the window as a light box, since the banner is rather large. Indeed, I used it twice, once to reverse the rampant wolf motif, and a second time when transferring the drawing to the fabric.
:::

I have been refurbishing an older SCA underdress of mine, fixing the wonky neckline and shoulders, by adding an embroidered replacement yoke* in exchange for an experimental neckline that worked poorly.

The undergown fits a lot better, because it no longer slips about randomly orbiting the neck and shoulders. Still need to work on seam-finishing the inside edges where I cut away the old neckline, and now I should be able to get quite a few more years of wear out of the garment.
The lower hem edge, which had a plain wide band of ochre osnaberg fabric, now looks a lot better with periodic application of these amusing block printed acorns.
:::

May SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 printed trim samples caged feral roses cardboard recycling
2 banner design block printed
undergown hem
-
3 - - -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -


*a closer look at the simple embroidery on the replacement yoke:

1 comment:

  1. what a great fix. I love the purposefulness and chnaging old clothing to better fit the need. fantastic

    ReplyDelete