Monday, January 4, 2016

Monday musings and music


in which our plucky heroine makes slow steady progress forward...

This morning the backyard is ice, crunchy where there is undisturbed snow, and slick solid ice where the snow was walked on yesterday. Chicken house has icicles. Penguin walk was my friend, and when I go back outside it will be YakTrax for certain. Chickens threw the faux egg outside when I opened the door, I suspect there will be no egglaying for a while. Life here at Acorn Cottage goes on just slightly weird as usual. Considering sprinkling wood shavings on the ice, wondering if that would give better traction or just make it more slippery...

ice coats the flower buds of the mystery plant in Carla's yard
:::

Concept drawing of a teacher-pinafore for Jen, using two different coordinated fabrics. This garment has a lot of my favorite features, like a bias front bodice, and capacious inset pockets. Here I'll combine the two fabrics she had me use last year, in a way that will take advantage of how the colors and prints work together and also show off the style lines of the design.

:::

while decluttering I found the wee iPod that has a lot of my favorite songs on it, that I'd not seen in three years (back when I was listening to it when I was just starting to recover from my cancer surgery and spending a lot of time in bed...) Wishing that there was some way to listen to the music without blocking my hearing with earphones, and remembering that I'd seen at Goodwill, in the electronic department, things you can plug one into to both recharge it and play the music out through speakers like a radio... I splurged, spent the $7, and now can have tunes in the workroom! (Just call Acorn Cottage the home of outdated tech... I don't care, it works!)
:::

Further progress on the slippers for Dad. After being run through the washer four times*, they have shrunk and felted to a more appropriate size. Once they are dry, I can attach the older knitted portion to turn them into slipper-socks, and a layer of non-slip to the bottoms.

* front loading washers are great for laundry and not so great for felting. In this as in much else, patience is a virtue. This is a project being completed in the fragments of spare time between other more intensive tasks
:::

This brought tears to my eyes, for so many reasons...

:::

January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 sekrit santa gift iPod speakers -
2 - - -
3 -
- -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment