Tuesday, January 5, 2016

one mouse two mouse red mouse blue mouse



in which our plucky heroine makes 12th Night gifts for two little girls...

When I saw these little mice, I knew that they would be a delightful treat for my two special girls, who are coming to visit this weekend for 12th Night, along with their assorted adults (aka Blue Cedar House). Ann Wood's tutorial and pattern are excellent, as is not surprising, since she is an inspired artist and a talented patternmaker.

When I printed out the PDF, I made an error and my pattern came out scaled about a third smaller than intended, but I decided that the cute factor would be even moreso with extra tiny pocket sized mice... (they are supposed to be about 3" tall, which would make the stitching and assembly a bit easier)
.

The other thing I did differently was to add whiskers. I use single strands of horsehair, lockstitched in place, and I find the whiskers add a certain combination of kawaii appeal and vermisillitude...

:::

January SMART goals
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 sekrit santa gift iPod speakers -
2 two felt mice - -
3 -
- -
4 - - -
5 - - -
6 - - -
7 - - -
8 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
11 - - -
12 - - -

9 comments:

  1. The mice are fabulous!!! You really know how to make pieces of fabric into little beings full of personality! I use and gaze at my kitty cat needle case every single day and think of you and your fabulous skills and creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! It does me good to know that my handicraft continues to please you... I might have to make up another bunch of kitty needlebooks soon. Hmmm mice would be a fun adjunct. Although I did make a mousie tape meaasure for someone to go along with her kittyface needlebook
      http://artisanry.blogspot.com/2015/03/friday-fragments.html

      Delete
    2. The mousey tape measure is fabulous!!!

      Delete
  2. Very cute indeed. You have an amazing ability to make them come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruthie! My hobby back when I was a child was miniatures; I loved sewing up tiny animals and dolls.

      Delete
  3. Your little mice are so sweet. I'll bet the girls love them. Where in the world does one buy horsehair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is possible to purchase horsehair online, as there are crafts that use it... I instead have asked friends with horses to keep some of the mane and tail combings for me, and I also have a whole black/grey/white horsetail that I purchased years and years ago from a booth that sold various sorts of furs and leather. I have used the horsehair for tassels on my Norse flag, for animal whiskers on toys and trinkets, and I intend to try using some for weft in wool tablet-weaving, as I read somewhere that was also done in the Viking Age...

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love little mice, and these are so sweet. The little brown one looks like he is watching something. Just beautiful work Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love little mice, and these are so sweet. The little brown one looks like he is watching something. Just beautiful work Alison.

    ReplyDelete