Wednesday, January 1, 2014

starting off right


Well that is a rather splendid start for 2014, even if our plucky heroine is now sneezing repeatedly and uncontrollably. (every time ANY declutter happens all the nasty pollen and things in the carpet get stirred up, with the resultant disturbance in my somatic equilibrium... SOMEDAY there will be NO carpeting here at Acorn Cottage, and my allergies will be less of an issue)

BUT - I have met my goal of two grocery sacks to be discarded: one of paper recycling and one to Goodwill, AND even better, the strange case of the missing accounts book has been solved! How it ended up where I found it I have no idea, but it is going back to the proper location, (perhaps chained in place like a medieval library?) and I can now also start on all the varied paperwork for which said book is a vital component. Being able to ex out two boxes on the SMART chart feels good, and tomorrow should see another one or two boxes tagged as well...

Yesterday, New Years Eve Day, a phone call midday from my dear friend Ariadne led me to scotch my regular plans in favor of spending a rare afternoon visiting with her, poking around in Powells, (where she bought me an addition to my reference library as a late birthday gift) and rambling round downtown Portland with lots of time to chat. It was lovely and most renewing to my spirit. Eventually she needed to meet with Jess and head south to the party in Eugene, and I returned home much more cheerful.
≈:::≈

this song came online and I stopped working to watch the video, and liked it very much... somehow the interplay between the lyrics and the beauty of all the everyday folks waiting for the bus just got to me... we are all pretty enough, however invisible we are...
≈:::≈

Often a sweetness comes
as if on loan, stays just long enough

to make sense of what it means to be alive,
then returns to its dark
source. As for me, I don’t care

where it’s been, or what bitter road
it’s traveled
to come so far, to taste so good.
~ Stephen Dunn

3 comments:

  1. Well, your tale of the Missing Accounts Book is inspiring me. Chez moi several mysterious disappearances have taken place in the last month. First it was all of my underwear, solved when I checked one dog's crate and then did the laundry. The un-named canine sometimes grabs underwear and stashes it in her pile of treasures. But the other missing items have not surfaced, only a pair of former sunglasses w/o lenses. I think, like you, it is time to begin uncovering the layers in the archeological site that my sewing room has become. Sigh. It took a month to pile it all up, but probably won't take a month to uncover it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Claire, how very funny the Tale of the Missing Undies! I am really looking forward to meeting you in person later this month!! And as for archaeology sites, I think when you see the current state of Acorn Cottage you will not feel so bad about your sewing room...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doggy's treasure hunts are very funny! But I confess that I prefer her to stash the treasures in her crate over the periodic fashion shows she launches, when she trots into the living room hauling someone's underwear along. . .

    ReplyDelete