Thursday, August 8, 2013

dreaming of autumn - reconstruction


our plucky heroine found an splendid Goodwill score - an Eileen Fisher top, which will be an excellent addition to my autumn wardrobe.

The style: a narrow button-front tunic, with long sleeves, a band collar, and fairly deep side slits. The fabric: a highly crinkled linen rayon blend, black with tiny double pinstripes. Of course, it didn't quite fit me... the shoulders were good, the sleeves were good, but the two sides of the front didn't meet... close, but not there...

center back of narrow band collar

This was too excellent a find to leave for some more svelte* girl to take home. The need to partially deconstruct the shirt has given me a chance to examine how parts of it are put together, in particular the intersection of the side seams and the side slits, and while it is not anything remarkable, it is worth my taking notes to get an equally smooth result in future efforts. My plan is to cut off some of the length to add narrow side panels, and possibly also narrow triangular gores in the back, so the top will skim over my curves, and then re-hem the lower edges.

views of the side seam before and after adding side panels

* svelte is an archaic Norse word for "starved"

4 comments:

  1. I love those linen/rayon blends. This one will work great in your wardrobe. I'm looking forward to seeing the completion of the garment and how it looks on you. My favorite kind of sewing. I am good at reworking skirts, not as good at tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn - I surely wish I could find, and afford, fabrics like this as yardage to make new garments; even here in Portland, land of fabric stores, this would be a real treat, so I was entirely unable to stop myself from buying it at Goodwill, even though I have sworn that I will not bring home any more "projects that need work" Hopefully by the time I finish the handsewing on this one, I will have unearthed the tripod from wherever it is hiding; the tripod makes taking pictures of myself a bit easier

      Delete
  2. I love Eileen Fisher clothing, but it has never loved me, even at my skinniest. It will be nifty to see how it looks after you've worked your magic on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I'd never have guessed that EF clothes wouldn't suit you... This will end up a rather close-fitting top, suitable for wearing underneath a pinafore, or for wearing over one, and open in the front, for a sort of cardigan. I won't be changing a lot about the garment (though I might change the buttons to something a bit more interesting), but since I am a lot shorter and a great deal more stout than their target demographic, it will probably no longer have their characteristic "look". It will, however, be a versatile addition to the wardrobe.

      Delete