Thursday, March 14, 2013

currrent SWAP 6PAC progress


The black denim overall pinafore is making me very happy, it is comfy, has large enough pockets, though it could always use a few more... Twice in the two days I have worn it, strangers on the street had positive things to say to me about it.

I am currently working, in my spare time, on a dress to be worn either by itself or underneath the (various) pinafore(s). This Japanese cotton, in wonderfully subtle brown/black print has scattered among the various bird and foliage motifs, in very tiny writing "balance of nature in all weathers" and "rain or shine" I'd not noticed that initially, but it seems very appropriate to the biome here. The accent fabric is another Japanese cotton in a variegated taupe with indigo motifs. Rather that fuss with new pattern development at this stage, instead the plan is to use a modification of an ancient design, the Finnish "Eura dress" so as to get the maximum use out of the small amount of fabric. Our medieval and earlier ancestors were very frugal and clever with how they used fabric, since if you make every bit of it by hand starting from raw fiber, there is great incentive not to waste any...
 

highlighted clothing is completed...
(SWAP sewing closes on April 30th)

springtime 6PAC
2013 SWAP

pinafore black vertical pique
black denim pinafore black denim

top black reverse applique

top grey/black knit
black floral print top black floral print
apron bridge/third layer apron
indigo denim pinafore indigo denim

top brown knit
indigo knit top indigo knit
brown/indigo dress brown/indigo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed