Wednesday, January 9, 2013

holey moley, and a pinch of wishful


Finally a break in the weather, and our plucky heroine is at home all day, waiting for the UPS delivery of my Mom's sewing machine; she isn't really using it much, so is sending it to me... between house chores I managed to get outside to take pictures of my holey t-shirt:
 
The shirt by itself is a bit much, though there was great care taken to avoid any inappropriate motif placement... All those dots are cut circles in the upper (indigo) layer of the shirt, showing the black under-layer. There are many parallel lines of stitchery holding the layers together. Actually the whole shirt ended up being stitched together by hand, and there is very narrow edge binding on the cuffs and neckline.

+
Side view, showing the floral reverse applique on the lower sleeve, and the other side, with the floral motif on the upper sleeve instead.
Pretty much, this is how the shirt will look when I am wearing it, as it is designed to be worn under a pinafore. The double layers of indigo and black will add an extra bit of warmth, acting as a sort of thermal mid-layer.
:::

After seeing Margy and her kappogi apron it was necessary for me to get in the wayback machine and travel back to November 1966, when Sunset Magazine published an article on "make your own Japanese apron". Our city library has open-stack archives going back many decades, and I was able to xerox the relevant information. The magazine article includes a pattern diagram for how to cut out a complete apron from two yards of 36" fabric (when I was young and learning to sew, most fabric was that width) as well as instructions on how to construct the apron.

Not quite the same exact styling as the pattern Margy used, as the sleeves are not elasticised, but according to the article, they made up a number of these aprons for their staff home economists to wear while working in the magazine test kitchen...

Maybe I need to make one of these to wear not just when cooking, but when working in the studio - wish I had some suitable vintage Marimekko fabric in my stash!

4 comments:

  1. ".... though there was great care taken to avoid any inappropriate motif placement....." always the lady, you are, Alison!

    Do you mind if i copy this? It's so forkin' cool i can barely stand it, the asymmetrical sleeve treatment just sends it all into the stratosphere! I love the 'hand' that so much handstitching gives a garment and the extra warmth is just the ticket this particular winter.

    Perfect idea perfectly executed! You look amazing! steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top turned out really cute! I too love the asymmetrical and more refined cutouts on the sleeves. Beautiful.

    BTW so glad you had a positive visit with your oncologist. I just lost a dear friend yesterday to cancer. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top is lovely. This is taking T's to a new level. I love it.

    ReplyDelete