Monday, December 3, 2012
old school colors
in which our plucky heroine ponders the equation that a whole lot of time spent in med-fu waiting rooms = handwork keeps me sane...
The start of the second winter 6PAC TNT longsleeve T-shirt; indigo over black, stitched with brown; leftside center back done, rightside center back in process (white chalk marks where the upper layer will be cut away; when the shirt is constructed, the visible gap will actually become the center back seam).
The original inspiration is this shirt, made from an incredible two-layer fabric with unique textural patterning. I am using a different style and scale of pattern than the interpretation seen here, and think that the body of the shirt will work quite well with the vertical stitching and cut-away bits. Am wondering about some alternative, less linear, design for the sleeves though...
1 comment:
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the work you're doing on this shirt! You are not one to sit and twiddle your thumbs when there is an interesting technique to try; I envy you your focus and get-to-it-iveness.
ReplyDeleteOn Stitchers Guild you requested ways to keep hems in knits from rolling. In "Easy Guide to Sewing Tops & T-Shirts", Marcy Tilton illustrated and gave directions for a hem she called the "Jean Muir" hem. I've used it and like it lots. You press up a 2" hem to the wrong side (no interfacing). Using a short stitch length (I like to use the narrowest zig-zag too) stitch 4 rows:
1. one at the folded edge, close to the edge
2. a second 1/4" from the first
3. a third just catching the top of the hem (no edge finish is needed), and
4. the last row 1/4 inch below the third.
Marcy said, "...the weight of the stitching makes the hem hang beautifully." It also looks lovely, in my opinion.
Good luck on your numerous projects!