Monday, November 26, 2012

pom pom piping


our plucky heroine always has more projects on the list than time to do, so having more than one set up as a "kit" means that small fragments of spare time end up being useful. While currently my non-spare time is full of actual prep work for commissions (+ med foo, sigh), I am also working on some new ideas for holiday gifts, and a new style of whimsical hat. The wardrobe projects* occupy my mind in a soothing almost obsessive way...

My thought is to try some new-to-me detail of construction or style on many if not all of the 21 remaining garments. The next up, while I wait for the arrival of a copy of the missing misplaced pattern piece (thank you kindly Meg for being willing to trace and send), is a TNT longsleeve t-shirt - two layers, indigo over black, with pinked reverse applique. My original inspiration is this shirt, the fabric has such unique textural patterning, and, of course, just my colors...

 I am amused at the idea of translating a 16th century decorative technique into a 21st century garment. Back in time, some garments were slashed and pinked: had decorative cuts made in the main fabric to allow the inner layer to show through. I found one interpretation here, though her version is a different style of t-shirt. As there is time, my plan is to mark lines on the doubled pieces and stitch them lengthwise with running stitch, which should allow the completed top to still stretch widthwise when being worn...
:::
...our plucky heroine was inspired to make up a new cozy whimsical hat, after seeing the pom pom cowl, initially posted here, and interpreted here by Sandra. There are many pieces of dense soft wool melton cloth that B&K donated to my stash, offcuts from the back room at Mill Ends. To coordinate with my wintertime sewing, a medium grey seemed ideal, combined with chocolate brown small pompom trim. Once the hat pieces were stitched together, it was apparent that a bit more stitching was needful to keep the layers of dense wool neatly aligned, so added a bit of pick-stitching with black pearl cotton along the brim edge, and where the crown of the hat joined the top. I do think this needs just a bit more embellishment, and if memory serves, there is some black/brown/grey/cream abstract jaquard ribbon floating around somewhere; will have to track that down and try it for around the brim just below the pompoms and running pickstitch... (better pictures tomorrow, when there is daylight)
:::


* SWAP and 6PAC

6 comments:

  1. Did you know? I absolutely adore pom pom trim.I actually have a clutch purse I am going to make with pom pom trim on my winter project list.Now I may have to make a cowl too.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these years and I never knew about your feelings for pompoms! I too am intending to make a cowl, just have not found the right fabric yet...

      Delete
  2. I love your hat! Did you make the pom poms using your tiny round buttons? I am absolutely certain that you could make your own pom pom piping!

    Yesterday on our drive from San Diego to Seattle we zoomed right through Portland w/o stopping at a single fabric store and without visiting a single friend. Sigh. It just about broke my heart. We were running and sprinting toward the barn, though, after hours and hours on I-5, so Portland went past in a blur.

    Best

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have waved to the highway had I known you were zooming by, but at least you had good weather for your trip...

      The pompom trim on my hat is commercial small pompoms, though it would be unique to have handmade bobbles using the button technique. They would be a lot heavier than fuzzy pompoms though. I have timed how long it takes to make a button and each one takes about ten minutes.

      Delete
  3. Hmm I had no idea that commercial pompoms came in a range of sizes. I have a picture I cut out of Vogue magazine about 20 years ago of a fabulous hat that features pompoms around the rim. I know I will soon find it because I am cleaning out my fabric and pattern archive. And when I find it, that hat will be mine!!!

    Yep we had very beautiful day time weather and nighttime weather - we saw Mount Shasta with beautiful fresh snow, glowing in the moonlight

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to read your post about this project. Thanks for mentioning me as inspiring you -- we all inspire one another! Your hat is so beautifully made and will surely keep you warm all through the winter.

    ReplyDelete