Thursday, August 6, 2009

a fruitful expotition

A few weeks ago, I had noticed a small advert in the pick-your-own listings for unsprayed blueberries at a farm on Sauvie Island. My dear friend Rois and I had intended to go last week, but inappropriate weather in the triple digits made that not a fun idea. Today the weather was just about perfect for berry picking, pleasantly cool and dry, with a bit of cloud cover.

We arrived at the farm at around eight thirty in the morning, and by ten had each picked over ten pounds of berries. Blueberries are not only my favorite berry, but they require almost no processing. I simply freeze them in plastic bags, they hold up really well, don't stick together, and can be removed in whatever quantity is needed. I shall resist eating them by the handful, as they are quite the special treat all year long. (though they never last out the year here at Acorn Cottage)

blueberries on the hoof

10+ lbs of blueberries in the basket

~ : ♥ : ~
Sometimes places are described as flat, but Sauvie Island is flat. Having been there now for the first time, I can imagine actually taking my bike, and catching the #17 bus that goes out there, and then riding out to the u-pick places. I'll bet if I go in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, it won't be too crowded. And the bus currently runs every half hour on weekdays, and once an hour on Saturdays...

No comments:

Post a Comment