Monday, February 9, 2009

Fabric fungus...

As I enjoy handicraft, I find that crafty swaps are hard to resist. The time available is a constraint, of course, but this Handmade Mushroom Swap, hosted by the creative and talented knitsonya, promised both a fun challenge and a delightful result. Who would not like to add a few tiny artist-made mushrooms to decorate their cottage...
I decided to use only materials that I already had, and was inspired by a creamy off-white felted scarf and some scraps of Harris Tweed from a long ago jacket my father wore, to try something different than the usual "cute mushroom with spots". Somehow the materials were saying "make us into a morel". So I did...
This is my second attempt, and at 3 1/2" the mushrooms are a little bigger than I'd hoped, but still well within the swap guidelines. I used some fender washers for the weighted base to keep such top-heavy 'shrooms stable, covered with some additional felted wool, this time from a dark green motheaten lambswool vest recently sent to me for just such crafty purposes by my Mom, (thanks Mom! you are getting one of these for your curio cabinet) ...for more mushrooms swapping goodness,
check out the flicker group

1 comment:

  1. I love it when a project suggests itself from the materials, it's such a wonderful and organic way of working. Your morels are amazing! I can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete