Tuesday, February 10, 2009

25 random things about me

1. My given name was supposed to be Leslie Alison (but it isn't). I really dislike my birth name, and kept trying to "alter" it while I was growing up. I took Alison for my name when I moved to the Northwest in 1985.

2. I dearly love my big Akita dog Smokey, but when she was a puppy, I was a little bit afraid of her. I'd not much experience as a dog momma, and she was so big! I think I figured it out though.

3. I love to dance.

4. I spent decades being horribly shy, and terribly depressed. I guess I outgrew it; first the shyness went away, and then the depression.

5. My goal is to live a very interesting life that makes sense to me, and get to the end of it with lots of memories and not too many "gee I wish I had's"

6. I learned to torch solder when I was about 14, in a jewelry workshop at the DeCordova Museum School in Lincoln MA. Give the girl a flame and she never looked back...

7. We moved a lot when I was a child, I went to five different elementary schools, on two coasts.

8. Adrenaline is my least favorite drug.

9. I learned to read before I ever went to school, consequently I learned that school was where you went to learn things to be bored. And I have a terrible print addiction.

10. I spent almost ten years working graveyard shift Main Gate Security at the Oregon Country Fair

11. When I was seventeen sometime in the winter of '72/73, I hitchhiked from my college in upstate New York to visit friends in Boston for the weekend. The man that picked me up gave me a ride pretty much all the way there, and let me off at the end saying "you take care now, and see...Federal pigs aren't all bad..." I don't remember our several hour conversation, but that was the only time I've been in a car with a Federal Marshal.

12. My dream for years was to have a home. I never thought it would come true.

13. I have little square hands the size of a child's hands.

14. I spent a whole winter living on the street in Boston (well technically in the back of a step-van) Never listen to the silver-tongued devil, he'll whisper sweet nothings, and they are all lies.

15. I have the brain of a designer. This makes me very happy, except when it makes me very frustrated.

16. I'd really like to learn woodworking

17. At a potluck, Reverend Chumleigh once told me I make the best pecan pie West of the Mississippi.

18. Waterfalls make me so happy I just have to stamp my feet

19. I spent the winter of 1992 living in Northern Idaho, in a house with no electricity or water, just one ridge over from Ruby Ridge. I could hear the helicopters. What was I doing there? (see #14, different man, same stupid girl)

20. Learning to read and play music was one of the hardest things I've done. I could feel it changing the inside of my brain. I wish that my hands were in good enough shape to have continued that, it was some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on. If I ever get my left hand repaired, I'd like to start again.

21. When I was eight, I got horseback riding lessons as a birthday gift. I was so excited that I shrieked with glee when I was finally on horseback. The horse ran away and jumped the fence, and I fell off. My mom was so traumatized seeing me fly through the air that there were no more lessons, and I got a toy microscope instead. I learned to ride as an adult, and for several years went riding almost every week. The fun was worth how scarey it was.

22. As a child, I wanted to grow up to be a dog.

23. Sewing is the thing that I feel like I do best. It is the place where my designer brain, and my engineer brain, and my artistic brain all get to play, and the place where my skillset is there to serve my ideas. Maybe that is 'cos I learned to sew when I was about five.

24. I was gifted to see a cougar, going down our driveway in Idaho. I thought it was the neighbors yellow lab, until it moved, and I realised why they are called mountain lions. It ran away like a piece of golden water running downhill.

25. When it comes to divvying my tokens up between happiness, fame, power, or wealth, I'll put them all on happiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment