Remembering back in 2011, when my Resiliency Ranger pals and I baked dozens of cookies, and took them to the ILWU union hall in Longview. Today a much smaller strike, my local grocery store has had their NSLU picket lines out for the last three days, and I can't do much, but I can bake, and let them know I support them
I don't know where I read that if you crumple parchment paper and smooth it out two or three times, it will stay much flatter when placed on a cookie sheet, as opposed to if you just cut some off the roll, when it keeps trying to curl up. Makes life a bit easier when baking cookies
Isn't this a pretty thing, a bit of a variation on a classic. I am keeping one for a summertime kerchief, and overdyeing one in green for Acantha...
※※※
Back in the LongAgo, when my Crafternoon was a thing that happened once a month or so, a gathering of friends at my home, for treats and tea and talk... my friend Ian (may he find peace in the next world) and his lady Karen often made the trek here from their home in Silverdale. Because Ian was a committed vegan, I always made sure to have at least some of my provender something that he would enjoy.
In point of fact, almost everyone that has tried these cookies likes them. They do have sugar, and usually wheat flour and the cornstarch that in powdered sugar, and sesame seeds, but no eggs or dairy.
~ Open Sesames ~
Preheat the oven to 375F.
1½ c flour
1 t baking powder
½ c + 2 T olive oil
½ c sesame seeds, toasted
½ c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
½ T cold water
½ t cinammon
1¼ t nutmeg
In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the oil, sesames, sugar, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and the water alternately to the oil mix. The dough will look oily and crumbly. Divide it into portions and form into small rounds with your fingers. Set on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake about 20 min.When the cookies are lightly golden they are done. Let them cool, and enjoy!1 t baking powder
½ c + 2 T olive oil
½ c sesame seeds, toasted
½ c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
½ T cold water
½ t cinammon
1¼ t nutmeg
These cookies are a kind of rich shortbread, not too sweet, and even with all the olive oil they do not taste like salad dressing! You could easily vary the spice mix. I usually divide the dough into enough pieces to make 4 dozen cookies , but then I like smallish dainty tea-cookies.
(I think that the next time I try making these, I will substitute rosewater for vanilla, and just nutmeg instead of cinnamon+..)
※※※
My second trial of the frozen eggs went better than the first time. As before, they scramble up just fine, and mixing in just one little breakfast sausage, chopped fine and browned a bit, made the salt unnoticable. (Our plucky heroine does not salt her eggses, but sausage and its even more spendy cousin bacon are supposed to have salt as one of their flavors) I suspect that this could even be done without meat, by adding some smoked paprika to well seasoned veggie additions to the scramble.
※※※
"The European Space Agency (ESA) has revealed it is closely monitoring an asteroid the size of a football pitch that could hit the Earth in a little over seven years"... I realise that 2032 is a way down the road, but I didn't have asteroid anywhere on my bingo card. I know that asteroid ≠ comet, but I've very vivid memories of reading "Lucifer's Hammer" when I was younger
※※※
January SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | blood orange marmalade | bike headlamp | yard waste bin |
| 2 | heraldic enamel | passport photo | recycle bin |
| 3 | crayon roll | crystal necklace | recycle bin |
| 4 | xp2 undies | pattern longjanes | recycle bin |
| 5 | pot lid rack | passport applied for | - |
| 6 | aluminum stitch markers | pear tree planted | x |
| 7 | x | stripe sleeves | x |
| 8 | x | milliput handles | x |
| 9 | x | horse earring | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. parchment paper for baking
2. "open sesame" cookies (I saved out 3 small ones for me)
3. purple carrots.
4. all the supplies for fiber reactive textile dyeing, neatly put away inside the dedicated dyeing kettle. Thank you Past Me.
Time of Isolation - Day 1659

Thank you for the parchment paper tip!
ReplyDelete