Monday, March 18, 2019

knit-picky

in which our plucky heroine dissects her completed cardigan...

Finished my Sólbein cardigan, including knitting the button bands and sewing on the toggles. Wet-blocked and currently drying in the shade. The very rustic style is just right! I'm very happy with the colorwork, my choice of antler toggles, and how well the chosen "indigo/denim" colors will coordinate with most of my wardrobe. When attaching the sleeves, I placed the increase line down back of sleeve instead of at underarm to allow more space for arm curve, underarm doesn't need extra room, elbow does.

I'm less pleased with my own errors, but done is better than perfect. In not knowing how best to deal with the disparity between my bone structure and my circumference, despite my efforts to adapt the instructions, I ended up with Very Deep armscyes, and sleeves that are several inches too long. (this is the knitting equivalent of my identical problem with commercial sewing patterns - if the circumference is big enough to fit around my bodacious bosom, the armholes are halfway to my elbows) I'm thinking about adding a line of I-cord along the neckline edge, since the ribbing really stretches when I wear the cardigan, and if I-cord were also added to the cuff edges, would allow for removing the plain cuff ribbing (shortening the sleeves) and also stabilising the cuffs.

The bottom hemline was seriously irregular, dipping down in front and way up at each side. I suspect that where the armscye was located ended up was causing the problem, due to grading based on circumference (same problem I have with RTW, and with commercial sewing patterns. I solved it by opening a portion of the body just above the ribbing, and adding in a sort of diamond/leaf shape made from short rows, and then grafting it back closed, thereby pushing the errant hemline closer to level.
Given that the last (adult) sweater I knitted was nineteen years ago, I feel pretty chuffed. This is to keep me warm, not for a county fair competition (so the few minor errors made are not significant) which it will do quite well. It may become a middle layer worn over winter garments, rather than the spring/autumn cardigan I intended. The texture reminds me of the mohair cardigans that were popular when I was in middle school. I am looking forward to seeking out a different approach to cardigan knitting, as there is enough additional Lettlopi in my Big Box of Yarn for a second one, in a quite splendid black tinged with turquoise/teal/multicolor...
※※※


a bit of Jim Henson textilia whimsy
※※※

I adore reading the essays on artmaking that Luann Udell writes - she is able to clearly communicate useful truths in a kindhearted and comprehensible way. When I read this recent essay, I thought: this is exactly where one of my greatest struggles is, I doubt my ability, my creativity, and I am stopped in my tracks. Over and over again. I need to learn, to remember somehow, as she suggests, to "pat doubt on its head, shush it lovingly, and move it back to its corner". Not just in my creative life, but in my life in general, I keep noticing how my doubt has held me back from even trying to have the life I imagined would be possible.
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 charter #2 stripey vest buttonschicken wire
2 2 tiny enamels bead swag ends-
3 blue floral blousex -
4 Sólbein cardigan
x -
5 xx x
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x
x x
10 x
x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Today, when attempting to get to the bus, and needing to cross the parkway, which is always troublesome, the bus driver not only saw me, but held the bus until I could get across and board. When I left the bus, in addition to the traditional Portland "thank you driver" I specifically thanked her for not only noticing and waiting for me, but for the several other times I had seen her notice people trying to get to the stops on time and waiting for them... Doesn't take much to thank people for being thoughtful and aware, and made both of our days a little better

3 comments:

  1. It's a work of art! The front looks so perfect that I thought you must not have cut it open yet, but if you've been wearing it, I assume you must have somehow overcome the fear of cutting through your stitches. Enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I actually wasn't at all fearful about cutting through the stitches, since way back in the dark ages when I was a freshman in college, I made a handknit wool pullover in colorworked patterns that had steeked armholes! I think that the pattern was from the magazine McCalls Needlework and Crafts.

      Delete
  2. Gosh that sweater is beautiful! What a joy it will be to wear that.

    Being a transplant, I am always charmed by the apparently city-wide custom of thanking the driver as one exits the bus! Wonder how that became a "thing".

    Will have to research that i-cord neckline business, as I have a very pretty cardigan knitted years ago in a yarn from Elspeth Lavold (how can I remember such trivia??) that has a very stretch neckline. Needs fixing!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed