Sunday, January 4, 2015

Solitary Foxen revealed


... in which our plucky heroine gainsays those who think that "neutral" means boring......

Finished my Fox Paws wrap, and am just casting off now, using the stitched cast off from Knitters Almanac. It has been a very enjoyable knit, and I am filled with gratitude to Mary who gifted me the pattern. I liked the way that after a while my brain began to make sense of the patterning, and I am still very much in love with the colors I chose, which will coordinate with my entire wardrobe, and with the elaborate, almost psychedelic, design as a whole.

The finished wrap is quite large - approximately 72" x 17" before blocking...after photographing the completed but unblocked project, it is very apparent to me that blocking will be a Good Idea, to smooth out the edges and surface just enough, and to gently even out the patterning.

The listed amounts of yarn in the pattern are quite correct for the size as listed. I was a bit concerned about running out before I finished, there was plenty of the yarns that I chose extra colors (cool blue/bluegreen, dark chocolate/milk chocolate, and pale cream/beach sand) and there was just enough of the turquoise and the grey. I love the way the Knitpicks fingering wool looks and feels; however it is a bit loosely spun, so at times my needle tips caught and split.

The only real difficulty I had with the pattern was the “K5tog” which even when altered to “slip 2 knitwise, K3tog, pass the 2 stitches over” was still a recurring difficulty. I followed a suggestion to use metal circular needles instead of my favored wood or bamboo, which worked well for some of the complex decreases that required real leverage, but I just prefer the feel of a less chilly needle in the hand (my hands seem to cramp more with metal needles, though that may also be a function of needle gauge).

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous scarf! I'm sure you will treasure it all your days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so completely stunning! The harmony of your colorways really make it a pleasure to look at and compliment the pattern tremendously. I can't wait to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one awesome scarf. It will look fabulous with the colours you have chosen to sew with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I am quite chuffed with how it turned out, but had no idea til the end how HUGE it was

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful and very you, Alison! Enjoy wearing your lovely scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a glorious scarf! This will warm your neck in great style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtaking!! You are going to look completely fabulous wearing it. You will need a nice big brooch to attach it to yourself so no sneaky forest animals can snatch it from you!
    Truly, it is a beautiful piece of work. Congratulations on your accomplished knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, *gorgeous*! What lovely work. And regarding the needle issue- have you tried Karbonz needles? A lot of the rigidity of metal, metal tips, but the carbon fiber needles are as light and warm as bamboo or plastic. I've heard a few folks complain about the junctions of the needles not being smooth enough, but I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete