Friday, January 2, 2015

a nutty tale


Our fearless plucky heroine for the win! IN which she bravely decided to investigate the entrails of the gas heating system...

Being worried about the Noisy Furnace Fan, which has been progressively de-evolving, and while continuing to wait for a callback from the service company, I awoke suddenly this morning with a memory of my old SuperBeetle from my Boston days... One time, long ago, I was driving around Fresh Pond Reservoir and my car started making the most awful clattery-bang sounds, from one of the rear wheels. I pulled over, removed the hub cap, and found that all but one of the lug nuts had come loose and were rattling around inside the hub cap like a childs toy, and the wheel was only held in place with the one nut!...

With that image vivid in my just-back-from-dreamland mind, I bravely removed the front panel from my furnace to look at the offending fan. Not surprisingly, I found that it too was only held in place by one nut, instead of the three that are required. One was still on the bolt, but the other was barely visible, and the third one was nowhere to be seen! I tightened up the two remaining nuts, which then brought the fan back into alignment with the furnace structure. Still needs a check-up, and hopefully another nut for the third bolt. But I feel absolutely mighty!
:::


:::



3 comments:

  1. Oh well done! The subconcious mind does sometimes help us out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent save! Doesn't that kind of thing make you just feel so empowered?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hail the Conquering Heroine!!

    ReplyDelete