Wednesday, December 17, 2014

weaving Wednesday



...in which our plucky heroine completes a project long on the loom...

Last night, finished the Laurel trim, tablet-woven from wool using irregular turning sequence; my second wool tablet weaving (and the final project in the "making things" category of my 2014 Rising 60 SMART goal challenge )
Here is the whole length of the weaving, just about 52 inches long...
... and a closer view of the leafy Laurel motif; am quite happy with how using lighter and darker green for the leaves gives a slight dimensionality to the design.
edit: Oh my, I just actually looked at my selvedges here, and wondered WTF? for most of the weaving I did the selvedges just turning all in one direction, not back and forth at all, and those are the nice ones seen in the back rows... the selvedge in the front, the ones that look so messy, those I did by NOT turning all in one direction, but by turning along with the rest of the tablets in pattern. Fortunately it is less than a foot of the total band, and will be mostly hidden in the stitching when it is applied. Chalk it up to a learning experience, a good case of compare and contrast, and a reminder to read the gorram weaving draft!

In the most recent bundle of fabric from my friend Claire was a dresslength of wool her mother wove!, in stripes of two shades of green, which will make a warm and pretty Viking Age apron-dress, this trim will hopefully be a suitable embellishment as well as a subtle form of regalia. Am considering hand sewing the dress, as a way to honor the handwoven character of the fabric ... but that is a project for 2015.

The next two weeks, in addition to both regular work and holiday preparations, not to mention the upcoming "start your sewing machines" beginning of SWAP 2015 on Boxing Day, I need to find eight, at least six, more "fix all the things" projects that can realistically be done with the time and resources currently available. I REALLY want to complete all three categories of my year-long challenge.
:::

December SMART goal challenge
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 red-dyed wool,
from pokeberries
hem and new pockets
on Stacey dress
*
2 grey slip-dress * *
3 two kitty face
needlebooks
* *
4 acorn ornament * ----------
5 four more kitty
needlebooks
* ----------
6 sekrit santa gift * ----------
7 looper potholder * ----------
8 wool Laurel
cardweaving
* ----------
9 ---------- * ----------
:::

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with the woven fabric!! As always your SMART goal challenge lists are an inspiration - I make lots of stuff, as you know. But "FIXED" and "GONE" definitely need work in 2015! Happy Holidays to you and a very Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Claire - That green striped handwoven fabric is so lovely; I am eager to start on the project that this trim is intended for, but have a lot of everyday clothing that needs sewn first... am currently thinking about how and what to choose for my overarching goals for 2015 (as well as wracking my brains to come up with another eight fix this thing projects I can do between now and the end of the year)

    ReplyDelete