Wednesday, July 9, 2014

other small old details


so our plucky heroine went on holiday to ATWW for the better part of a week, managed not to get horridly sunburnt, escaped the intense city heat for a little while, saw old friends and made some new ones, learned a bit more about cardweaving from in a class taught by the Queen of Caid, and tried her best not to permanently lose equanimity.

When all else fails, playing with string is both soothing and pleasurable, and can be done in public without shame...

I recently acquired "Applesies and Foxnoses - Finnish Tabletwoven Bands"; this is pattern number 14. Perhaps foolishly did not begin in the easy section, but in the middle "difficult" section (did avoid the third "challenging" section) It has taken me quite a bit of time to get to the point where I can make it all the way through one pattern repeat without either having to unweave rows, or without simply giving up and letting the design lines go all psychedelic/wonky until I get to a stopping place where I can pick up the pattern again. There was rather a lot of bad words spoken this past week, and dear Maeva actually told me at one point to just "step away from the string"... Of course, the actual design itself is one that has a very long repeat(83? rows), with the cards moving in both directions in each row, and with almost no rows the same. None of the boring "four forward four back" for this gal! The photo shows approximately one repeat of the design, the second one I was able to successfully weave all the way through with no errors. 'Tis not yet a technique that I can both weave and hold a conversation at the same time.

In addition, this was my first attempt at doing cardweaving with wool yarn instead of crochet or pearl cotton. Was quite happy to find that the Naturespun fingering wool worked for this technique, since it is available locally, comparatively inexpensive, and comes in a wide range of colors. This project also included a bit of the yarn that I dyed earlier this summer at Egils as part of the border design; the pale blue-green threads (that alternate with the orange) were dyed with weld/indigo.
:::

Someone over in the Historic Tablet Weaving group commented on my shuttle, which is just barely visible alongside the loom...

This is one end of my "fancy" cardweaving shuttle: oak, carved with two horse heads, eyes inlaid with amber. I carved it about twenty years ago, during a time when I was fairly new in the SCA, and learning about card weaving. The decoration is pure fantasy, the shuttle itself works really well
The actual shuttle shape is a fairly standard "belt shuttle"...
I carved runes into the top edge of the shuttle: SKIT:GOTHAN:KIARI:ALISOLIN, which means "Alison made a good shuttle"... I had a friend who knows Old Norse translate it for me, and the inspiration came from a Viking comb case found in Lincoln and currently in the British Museum.

3 comments:

  1. The cardweaving shuttle is indeed a thing of great beauty. I bet it is lovely to hold in your hand.
    The weaving looks amazing too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The tablet woven band will end up as trim on a Viking apron-dress (Norse pinafore... what else would I wear?!) that I will be making from some of the handwoven wool fabric that Luz Clara sent me. Tis a bit hard to think about wearing wool when the temperature is close to 100F here, but in the winter it will be very welcome

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh nothing like lots of bad words to speed up the learning process! I am laughing at the image of your friend telling you to "move away from the string"!!!! It sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete