Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday media and musings...


Back earlier this year our plucky heroine was delighted and amused by The Great British Sewing Bee, and they are back with a holiday special... my kind of holiday special!
≈:::≈

from my southern friend Jen, who has introduced me to an assortment of music I'd not have found otherwise, Ryley Walker, (who really does seem to be visiting some of the same territory as Bert Jansch did in days gone by):
npr World Cafe: Ryley Walker
(click and follow to find the music player, couldn't find a way to link direct or embed)
 ≈:::≈

...and for those of a metallic persuasion, or just up for something different... wishing you light in this season of early darkness:

≈:::≈

It has been an interesting week here at Acorn Cottage, rather exhausting, though finding that more productive work is happening, and there is incremental positive change in both attitude and environs, hopefully a trend that will continue and increase. Progress, however incremental, is movement forward... small movement can start an avalanche... not that I am asking for an avalanche mind you, but progress towards my needful goals would be good...
≈:::≈

Yesterday afternoon had to repel boarders though... and it was interesting to hear the proportion of various women friends with either commendation for my savvy, or bafflement at my inhospitably... See, there I was working away on a Sunday afternoon on a holiday commission, wanting to get it finished in time to ship out for someones special gift to their special someone, when the doorbell rings...

There on the doorstep is a man + large teenage boy that showed up wanting to video the inside of my house, saying that they lived here a long time ago and wanted to make a video for their wife/mother as a gift. I told them no, and that no, I was not willing to walk around inside and video it for them. They were very disappointed, but really... what would you do in a similar situation?

What I figured is that if they were really legit and had been planning this as a holiday gift for "Mom" that they could have written to the various addresses of where they lived in the past letting folks know what they were doing, not just showing up unexpectedly at someone's door on a Sunday afternoon... they were probably harmless, but why tempt fate, and whyever on this sweet earth would I want a video of the interior of my home out there randomly...

When I spoke to the Portland police (non-emergency line) to file a report they told me that the best thing to do would have been to call 911 immediately, rather than assume benign intention and let them leave... that there are various predatory types that use things like this as a scam to either case houses or to cause trouble once inside the house... He said that I did the next best thing, by filing the report...

It isn't weird to want to see places where you once lived, or to share those memories with others in your family that are not there... I sort of understand that... what I don't exactly understand, what I find actually totally baffling, is that some of my women friends seem to not to find the idea of letting two unknown male strangers larger than myself into the house as something potentially dangerous or tragic...I don't think that either of the two menfolk understood why I didn't want to let them inside, and why I asked them to please leave... I think it is, perhaps, if I am not overly predjudiced, something that many men do not think about. I am not actually sorry that it may have impacted their holiday plans, but I am sorry that I did not have a quick and polite way to let them know that just showing up with a camera at a strangers house is not appropriate behavior
≈:::≈


just to show that I do have some understanding of nostalgia - and b'sides... 'tis a lovely song
≈:::≈

... and here's a quote (from "How Not To Be Alone"); remember to be kind to one another, it really does make a difference; and remember, like Ursula LeGuin says: "To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well..."

"Most of the time, most people are not crying in public, but everyone is always in need of something that another person can give, be it undivided attention, a kind word or deep empathy. There is no better use of a life than to be attentive to such needs. There are as many ways to do this as there are kinds of loneliness, but all of them require attentiveness, all of them require the hard work of emotional computation and corporeal compassion. All of them require the human processing of the only animal who risks “getting it wrong” and whose dreams provide shelters and vaccines and words to crying strangers.

We live in a world made up more of story than stuff. We are creatures of memory more than reminders, of love more than likes. Being attentive to the needs of others might not be the point of life, but it is the work of life. It can be messy, and painful, and almost impossibly difficult. But it is not something we give. It is what we get in exchange for having to die."

         ~ Jonathan Safran Foer

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Holiday Special link! And. . . what in the world were those men thinking? You totally did the right thing. That is a very weird scammy request. . . I'd have been suspicious right off the bat. Very odd. (Maybe I have watched too much Law and Order on TV but they sound like really stupid criminals. . .).

    And. . . I have got the muslin of the bodice of Coat 1212 figured out. And I found the fabric I want in my fabric archive (real raincoat fabric rather than thin nearly transparent wool blend). And it is a silvery-khaki subtle snake skin texture. I am going to put Primaloft between the coat and the lining, and I have an old fur collar that is going to get an audition for the collar.

    I need to make myself some warm indoor clothes first though. We are heading into another cold snap. And for me even the temps in the house - low 60s - constitute a cold snap!

    But I'm looking forward to my 1212 coat sisters coat! And my trip to Portland in January! Would you feel up to a visit to the Mill Ends Store (or whatever they call it now?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like an absolutely wonderful raincoat fabric, and your idea of how to make it warm enough for our wintertime rainy season should work well... The collar pattern piece is rather large, but if your fur collar is big enough it will be amazingly cozy, (plus everyone will assume that it is fake, so I'd not worry about that either)

      My first up sewing is going to be some warm underslips and a few new pairs of long john leggings... then back to the land of the spiffy raincoat

      I would definitely enjoy a fabric store trip with you... you are coming down this way the first weekend in January (3-5), right?

      Delete
  2. You did exactly the right thing! They were likely NOT legitimate. My house was once broken into a few days after I let a man who came to the door unsolicited wash my windows. I don't know for sure whether he had any connection but you can bet I added that to the police report after the break-in.

    Oh and thanks for the link to the Sewing Bee Special. I was hoping someone would put it up for those of us not in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome Louisa, and thanks for the vote of confidence... so far the commentary on the incident is running about 10 to 1 on my making a good choice... Glad you enjoyed the Sewing Bee, it was such a nice way to revisit the cast, and I loved the glimpse of Ann Rowley in her home studio being a SG moderator!

      Delete
  3. My plan is to head for Portland Jan 16-18 or 19. Last night I cut out three sewing projects - a lacy t-shirt, a vest-like thing, and a wool-blend cardigan w/an embellished zipper. I think I can layer them, too! Boy cutting out (incl fitting the pattern on my dress form) is not my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good, that timing works much better for me! I grok what you mean about cutting out, that is my least favorite part as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good - I'm glad the timing works out for later in January. I have two more things to cut out and then I can re-claim the table for my sewing machine. But I am glad to have all of those things cut out. The reward is the bliss of doing my projects w/o having to stop and cut out!

    ReplyDelete