Thursday, September 8, 2011

hrmph, but scattered with stars...

bright stars:

Whilst downtown exchanging the WrongSocks at REI, I took a different transit pathway home, that had me right next to the Keen flagship store. On a whim, I went in and asked them about suggestions for what to do about the wearing-through of the wee bungee laces. Oh, no problem, let me get you some replacement parts and the instruction sheet. No charge. no fuss, and that will allow a bit more use from the current shoes, not quite wornout after two years of hard use.
~ ~ ~≈:::≈~ ~ ~

CatFish had an interesting time with my gouache paints. Today it will be OwlDog's turn to have a decorative outer layer applied. Is much fun without being too strenuous.
~ ~ ~≈:::≈~ ~ ~

Stitches came out today, huzzah! All looks and functions well, considering that surgery was a bit more than two weeks ago. Not cleared for takeoff yet, not for a while, but will begin the slow ramp back up to speed.
~ ~ ~≈:::≈~ ~ ~

hrmph:

Latelatelate last night a call to let me know that there is a union action called for sometime before morning in Longview. Once off the phone, and now thoroughly awake, I hit the internet to figure out what that was about - oh my! So much happens that it is hard to keep track of it all. I remember learning in highschool, (though it surely is no longer taught) in theory, reported news picks certain parts of information to share - it is another thing entirely to watch it being done while it happens... We are so very fortunate to have the ability, through electronic media, to find various sources. It was not surprising to me, to see what vital information is being left out of most mentions of this particular issue. The common news primarily makes it sound like union workers running amok. Only a few mention the fact that this union had a standing contract in place since 1934, ignored by the multinational EGT, that is at the heart of this dispute. An early-early morning call let me know that all was well, much to my relief!

~ ~ ~≈:::≈~ ~ ~

Got a call from the bad doctor office wanting to schedule surgery. Simply told the scheduler I was taking my patronage elsewhere and could they please remove me from their list. Then got another call from the actual bad doc himself, all defensive and patronising yet again, and while he refused my offer of sending him a written statement about why I was not returning, he then informed me of what I was troubled about?!? (wrong guess entirely) and made disturbing/threatening statements about how since I was an OHP patient I would not be able to be seen in hospital if needed, and that (only) their office could make "special arrangements" to deal with that...

Basically, if you want to find out what my concerns are - be willing to listen to me. If you refuse to do that, and assume that you already know, then it is yet an additional example of NotPayingAttention. No one who is NotPayingAttention will be allowed anywhere near my body with a scalpel, thank you very much...

Great frustration with the system in general, that after waiting on a lottery for five years, finally managing to acquire the "prize" of joining the OHP system (for which I do pay monthly premiums), that said membership doesn't actually cover much save emergency room and some minimal preventative care (not to say that I am not grateful for even that much). It took a long time and a lot of struggle to arrange for a simple 16 minute surgery to prevent my hand from becoming completely dysfunctional and atrophied. And OHP only paid part of the cost. I do fear that further essential medical care will require even more strenuous self-advocacy to get the kind of basic care that those with insurance can access with relative ease.

5 comments:

  1. That doctor is such an ass. You certainly deserve (and will find) better. And I am convinced OHP makes you pay in blood sweat and tears for every penny... I am lucky I got my surgery under OHP when I did, sounds like they have made everything more restrictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if bad doc has caught wind of the trouble headed his way. Speaking as someone who has had a bad experience with the organization, Providence needs to seriously re-evaluate how they treat low-income patients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, corvideye, OHP has gotten much more restrictive over the years, probably goes along with limited funding and massively increased demand for service.

    Note to StacySix - the clinic that BadDoc works through is NOT a Providence facility. I have had nothing but positive, respectful, and highly competent treatment by any Providence doctor or clinic I have been treated by in the last fifteen years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah- I qualify for OHP, and even made it through the lottery, but when I did a spread sheet comparing the cost of my 510.00 per month premium Regence plan and the MUCH less per month OHP, OHP was more expensive as they didn't cover about 75% of what I need. Mind you, I know Regence loses money on me every month even at 510, so I can see why OHP can't cover what I need, but it's still officially Not A Good Thing for those with no options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hrothgar - would that I brought home $510 a month regularly, indeed even enough over that to cover my expenses as well. There are months that I do, and months that I bring home less than $500 total. I would dearly love to have real insurance. I had no insurance at all for most of my adult life. OHP is only a little little little bit better tnan no insurance at all. Living on the edge is hard work.

    ReplyDelete