Sunday, June 7, 2009

dainty Noro tidbit

Though I had sworn I was not going to buy any more yarn... in early May, before the weather turned hot, I ended up going to Twisted with a friend, where I fell in love with Noro, that yarn from Japan with incredible subtle and vivid color combinations. They had one skein in particular, that had all the colors that I love to wear, but somehow richer and vibrant, but it was only one skein. And Noro Kureyon, though visually beautiful, can be a bit scratchy; I chose some Noro Silk Garden (blended silk mohair and lambswool in a color range that was friends with my one skein), to knit the neck edge part of the shawl.

I knew I wanted to make the
Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl, but made small, to keep my neck and shoulders cozy in the cold weather. The pattern was pretty easy to follow and I really like the wavy lacey results, the wee shawl has nice drape for all that it is made from worsted weight wooly yarn. The pattern calls for a plain edge with optional added fringe. I decided that while fringe would look messy hanging over my shoulders and chest, a picot edge, with rather pronounced picots, would give a nice funky-hippie look. The resulting edging was not too difficult, thanks to the wonderful source of instructional variations found online, and looks just the way I had imagined... Pinned closed with a silver fibula, it looks just right, like a garment from an urban fairytale.
folded closed and pinned
spread out to show the wavy patterning

1 comment:

  1. I love this shawl, I just recently fell in love with Noro yarn as well. Late to the party as usual, I just didn't get what all the hype was about UNTIL I started knitting with it. I bought some Transistion on sale and made a scarf, now I can't get enough of it. I like the edging on your scarf as well. -Wendy

    ReplyDelete