This was going to be yesterdays post, but within several hours of returning home from outpatient surgery, my arm was so annoyed with me that I chose to avail myself of the medication prescribed by Dr O. Which then did the thing that pain meds do, which is to not actually make it stop hurting, but rather make me so dopey that coherent activity becomes impossible. So I slept the afternoon away, woke up when the medication wore off, ate dinner at almost midnight, and took another pill so I could sleep without wrecking my sleep wake cycle.
Ugh, I so dislike not being functional enough to read or write. Fortunately, my experience tells me that in a day or two the pain will abate to a dull roar. In the meantime, I delayed taking another pill long enough to get this post put together; I use my blog as a personal recording journal (aka my external brain) in addition to being a medium of sharing what I find to be a modicum of everyday beauty, whimsy, and now "time in the tinyworld".
※※※
time in the tinyworld:
(edited:
I had intended to finish and photograph this project yesterday... but
that will have to wait a day or two... it is already looking most
adorably fire-y)
time in the tinyworld:
Day 6 - "all that glitters" ... just might be glitter! After seeing various inspiring images, my plan to add a wee fire pit to the mini encampment took shape. I already had most of what I needed: flickering LED tea lights, cardboard, glue, black gesso, a scrap of black felt, and goodness knows I've more than one box of rocks.
The real star of the firepit, that adds that "glowing coals" look, is something I don't keep on hand - glitter. So I ordered the tiniest jar of red/orange/gold sparkles that I could find. Yesterday while riding my bike, I found some gnarled tiny roots, dug up when road improvements were happening, that were just right for firewood..
`
Most of the time involved in this project was spent waiting for glue to dry.
- building the stone surround: shaped/glued two layers of thin cardboard around the tealight base, just loosely enough to allow it to easily slip in and out. Glued the cylinder to a scrap of black cardstock. Painted the cardboard base flat black with black gesso. Glued small pebbles around the outside of the base, one layer at a time, allowing each layer to dry before adding another layer, building up to just above the edge of the cardboard...
- covering the LED: Since I had already added extra "flames" to the tealight (using RTV silicone caulk as the fire, and once dried, coloring them with red and yellow sharpie markers) all I needed to do was to cut a piece of black felt to cover the upper surface of the tealight around the flame. I decided to also paint the sides of the tealight flat black, to help it visually disappear.
- adding glitter coals: I dabbed droplets of glue here and there on the black felt, mostly closer to the flames and a few actually on the base of the flames. Carefully scooped out tiny amounts of glitter onto the glue, and let dry. This really looked quite splendid!
- adding rooty coals: some of the roots I cut into small pieces to give the effect of coals. I rolled them in some black paint, for a blotchy black and grey effect, then once dry, glued them around the base of the flame, close in
- adding firewood bits: almost finished, I cut longer bits of root to look like firewood sticks, and wedged and glued several rounds, building up the campfire effect. This had to be done really carefully, as until the glue dries, the wood is easily moved out of place.
- last glitter bits: finally, a few more droplets of glue in spots where hot coals might be visible, and another careful sprinking of glitter, and my glowing fire pit will be completed, to be the hearth and center of the tinyworld encampment
※※※
※※※
July SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | wee fruit basket | recombinant reindeer | yard waste bin |
| 2 | - | shelf for router | excisional flesh |
| 3 | - | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - I have medical care, I have good practitioners that are both careful and kind, and there is medication to ameliorate the worst of the pain. And I can be grateful as well that my life currently allows me to take a day or two off.
Time of Isolation - Day 840

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity about ice cooler reindeer! I hope you and your arm feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome Sasha, and thanks for your good wishes as well!
Delete