Saturday, August 7, 2021

a complexity of five

in which our plucky heroine pushes against boundaries...

In the recent 48 Hour challenge, I was asked to create a Mano d'Oro scroll for Stephen of Hunmanby. The Mano d'Oro is an award given to those who have been exemplary in both excellence in and of great and long standing service to the Arts and Sciences of An Tir.

Every time I do a new original scroll, I choose at least one thing new to try. With this scroll, I ended up with five new things: first time working with Pergamenata, first time doing "bar and ivy" style, first time adding a portrait to a historiated capital initial, first time including musical notation, and first time doing linework decoration around minor capitals...


The new original Mano d'Oro scroll
※※※


bar and ivy style, vertical bars with foliage
※※※


portrait (copied from FB profile photo)
※※※


musical notation
※※※


delicate linework decorating a small capital letter
※※※

August SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 twirly skirt
grapevine pruned
yard waste bin
2 Mano d'Oro scroll
Ailanthus cut down
-
3 -- -
4 - - -
5 -- -
6 - x x
7 - x x
8 x x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - I love that the internet allows for detailed research examining historical documents and books, including things like missals and books of hours, which I find endlessly fascinating and a great source of inspiration. I also love the generosity of the many institutions that have places parts of their collections available to the public at large!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, Alison! What a treasure you have created for Stephen. I would love to see his face when he receives it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your enthusiastic commendation! I too wish that I could be there to see when the scroll finally arrives... I miss that part so much, with the isolation. But I do get a great deal of enjoyment out of the process of creating these

      Delete
  2. That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed