Friday, May 21, 2021

Friday fragments

in which our plucky heroine finds some small ways to cope...

It has been both good and difficult these last few weeks to get daily reports from my sister, on her extended visit to see my Aged Parents. Their situation is not really improving, and my mom varies widely from day to day, even from moment to moment, with how rational or lucid she is.

When the "good" caregiver (Pam) is there, things go better, but she gets one week a month off, and luck of the draw who gets sent in to cover for her. The current replacement is not really working out well (understatement), my sister left to return home today, and today my daily phone call was in the middle of a huge blow-out. I feel so helpless, unable to do anything to improve the situation, and thousands of miles away
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
Sometimes the only thing saving my sanity is making tiny things. When I ran across this tutorial for a little felt rucksack, I knew the concept would be perfect for Nandina. I made a pattern from a bit of notebook paper, and used a cut up small hair tie for the elastic part. Even better, when rummaging around the sewing notions, I found some Very Small Buttons, one for the actual fastening. I like how the rucksack has a handle on the top, so it can be carried in hand as well as on the back:


※※※


Somehow, my needle book disappeared from the worktable?!? Since this is in almost daily use, I have started new one to replace it... Fortunately there was a partially cut out WIP in the stack of felt, so no need to generate a new pattern. Unfortunately? there were no more tiny black buttons in the button box, so this one will have somewhat larger button eyes, for a slightly kawaii/anime appearance.
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation:
These wacky spherical flowers are actually a variety of butterfly bush "Buddleia globosa" I had to look them up online, as I'd never seen the like before.
※※※

this makes me happy, and also makes me cry...
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1  teal knit tee for Nandina
repotted artichokes
taxes done
2 teal knit skirt for Nandina
computer zone shelf
yard waste bin
3 red/grey top for Nandina
cardboard back gate zone
recycle bin
4 red/print skirt for Nandina
pruned forsythia
-
5 setting for red Laurel
started cucumbers
-
6 samara earrings
backyard mowed x
7 three baby baprons
Nandina's legs x
8 two more baprons
woodchip back gate zone
x
9 teal/Mod top for Nandina repot tiny tomato
x
10 striped knit dress for Nandina
repot strawberries
x
11 4 more Nandina clothes
repot peppers
x
12 Nandina schoolgirl pinafore
paracord loops for plants
x
13 tiny red rucksack
x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - While riding home from the library, I saw several large (black, nursery style) plant pots in a pile of "free" detritus in the parking strip of a house being remodeled. After putting my bike away and eating breakfast, another trip there, this time on foot with the wheelie cart, and four large planters are now sitting on the porch waiting for plants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed