Saturday, May 18, 2019

two tiny friends: Hazel and Zinnia

in which our plucky heroine remains amused...

it is tempting, but not possible/sensible, to dive into the rabbit hole of miniature creation. I did however, bring small bits with me on the bus whilst going to and from the farmer's market today (fresh peas! and strawberries! and rhubarb!! yes it is that time of year...) and finished up the second Tiny Rag Doll.

Made from scraps leftover from my blouse fabric (brown/cream linen chambray), and I decided to try a slightly different hairstyle. Apparently her name is "Zinnia" and her somewhat old-fashioned friend is named "Hazel". They will require clothing, more than just their wee felt shoes. I am tempted to make them some Viking Age clothing, since our big SCA event is next weekend, or more likely, take some fabric scraps with me and stitch some up while I am there...

※※※

I'm worried about my computer, the power switch on the CPU/tower (don't laugh, I know it isn't state of the art, but it works) has started behaving badly. Half the time when I push it to start the computer it doesn't start "all the way" but begins to start and then stops. Are there some kind of springs inside the button that could stop working? I am a little nervous about taking the whole thing apart to find out... and, I still need to finish the Big Project of Importance, and have FIVE gorram tween undergowns to complete before Friday, so taking apart the computer zone will just have to wait its turn. I can, at least, simply use the power strip to turn it on and off, until I get the time to disassemble the whole spaghetti wire mess...
※※※

May SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 earbud case replace button patches chicken house
2 Ursa pullover pruned parking stripchicken waterer
3 raspberry saucerenewed raised planters lots of yard waste
4 tiny rag doll
plant salad table paper recycling
5 2nd tiny rag dollplant tomato starts random garden plastic
6 x grapevine pruned
paper recycling
7 x green onions planted
-
8 x I-cord edging -
9 x
x -
10 x
x -
11 x x -
12 x x -
13 x x -
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - the double yr EBT program at the farmer's market, which makes buying produce a little more affordable...

5 comments:

  1. Using the power strip is a sensible approach for now, but you may find that a good cleaning of the tower interior "cleans up" the power switch problem. We have been shocked, amazed and resigned to the amount of dust that collects in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realised I can't actually use the power strip that way, as it will shut down the house wifi, which isn't a good option. Using the canned air to blow around the power switch crevices has helped a bit, and once I get some actual unallocated time, I will dismantle and dust the tower

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean by the "rabbit hole" of miniatures -- for a time I was fascinated with that. Good luck with the computer; I've traveled that rough road, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a few years as a young adult obsessed with miniatures, only fading in my enthusiasm when I spent a summer making and selling tiny 1/12 scale wooden folk art pull toys. After that I was done. I doubt I would get so caught up in it, as I have several interconnected hobbies already, but as a fun thing to do with my tween friend it could be a possible treat, and a way to coordinate an assortment of handicraft projects, if she also is interested... we shall see...

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I fell in love with Hazel and Zinnia on Instagram and had no idea that you had made them. They are just the loveliest dolls. I am @onbaycreek on Instagram. I hope you will share lots more of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed