I have been realising the need to devote my resources to creating and acquiring the structures needed to have life here at Acorn Cottage continue to move in a direction of greater sustainability and ease. One of the fun but "junk-food" activities I have been spending money on is textile stuff, not to excess, but not essential either. I have all the yarn I need right now, and all the fabric I will need for at least several years. I will be using my stash for any of these activities this year, and being very very thoughtful about where my money and time is spent.
Aside from necessaries utilities and foodstuffs, it really needs to be for tools and materials; to build the things that will help in the future as well as now. Things like plumbing parts and concrete block to actually get the rainwater harvesting happening, and maybe another load of compost. There will be things that just require mental effort, things like contacting some of the tree crews to see if I can get some chipper waste for mulch, and getting my act together to sell my old car, if possible. And of course there is the physical work of the outdoor garden, and all the myriad indoor tasks to repair and improve Acorn Cottage.
Not to make it sound like all work and no play; "the work of the world is as common as mud"*... and needs doing
*from To be of use by Marge Piercy,
you can hear her reading this poem here
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed