Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mushroom love

On Thursday, friends arrived to stay here this weekend, and from Olympia brought these beautiful homegrown shitaki mushrooms. My Mud Bay compatriots are a great inspiration in turning yard into microfarm; one rather unusual thing they've done is inoculating logs with mushroom spawn, with delectable results. I'm thinking about a mushroom quiche, with some of the new eggs... after all, it is Pi Day!
~ :: ~
And yesterday, there was a small package on the front walkway under the mailbox...it was... my package from the mushroom swap!

What fun to unpack: a knitted mushroom, just starting to ripen, with the gills showing, made by Sonya of knitsonya herself, our inspiring and inspired coordinator; and a most curvaceous dancing mushroom, from feathergirl, complete with a tiny handmade snail
And my remaining morels are delighted to meet a long lost needlefelted cousin, from east of the Cascade Range, thanks to Sara M of ibbyskibby; The morels are accompanied by a charming vignette of mushrooms on a moss covered slice of log from RaynaAnd centered on my front windowsill is a lovely patchwork handsewn beauty that came halfway around the planet from the UK to find a home here in the Pacific Northwest, (should settle in well, we have a very similar climate!) Thank you Sandra of miaumau
I am just delighted with the five mushrooms I received, all so different from one another and all so creative. This has been a great swap; if you're interested in seeing all the amazing variety that was created, check out the "Field Guide" flicker collages here and here.
~ :: ~
Now back to my regular pre-teaparty activities: baking housecleaning and sewing

6 comments:

  1. They all look right at home on the window sill. Such a lovely collection you've got going there! Thanks for taking part in the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that my mushroom has such a good home :)
    ... and by the looks of it, great company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you like my morel, we'll call it the Rocky Mountain variety. I got one of yours too, but I can't find my camera cord to upload and post. I'll do that tomorrow. How fun!

    I'm enjoying perusing the rest of your blog as well!
    Sara in Salt Lake City
    www.ibbyskibby.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I so badly wanted to be in that swap! I didn't make the cut, too slow. I got over here from Dustpan Alley. If you want a red and white mushroom to add to your collection let me know. I have some extras. I am at work right now but took a peak at your blog. I love it! I will check it out some more this weekend. I'm thinking I might need to try the shrewsbury cakes. I like the rosewater and pistachio flavored doughnuts a friend of mine makes. Cheers! Tonia
    ** If you want a mushroom you can email me at trytocatchthewind@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so here's my question: can one innoculate logs outside? And if you get edible mushroom spores growing in your yard, can they mix spores with any inedible varieties? I want to grow my own mushrooms. I would love it if I could just get them naturalized in my yard.

    That swap was very cool. I didn't participate but I've been watching some of you make yours and I just love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angelina, in answer to your question about mushroom growing...my friends who brought me the shitaki mushrooms grow them outside, They have a big pile of various hardwood logs that they inoculated with shitaki spawn from Fungi Perfecti:
    http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html
    My understanding is that mushrooms don't "cross-breed" like oh, say, garden squash, since they do not reproduce in that way. They do need certain conditions and care to grow well, and it takes some time to set up.

    ReplyDelete