Sunday, January 18, 2009

in which cakelets are baked

It was great to see my friends here this afternoon, and Smokey got to visit with some new people as well. Just as folks were leaving, my friends Ian and Karen showed up, so the afternoon visiting was extended for another several hours of chatting and tea. I tried converting the popular online "oreo truffles" to mint JoJo truffles. The extremely minty truffles were quite popular, even though I was unable to get the white chocolate to melt properly to coat them...I also worked out an alteration in the twelve22 cakespell to make lemon poppyseed acorn cakelets, which also pretty much disappeared.
~ :: ~
Here is my modified recipe, which fills one baking of the cakelet pan, or a 6" round cake pan:
4T butter
5T sugar
1 egg
2T lemon juice
1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2t lemon extract
2T poppy seeds
zest of 1 lemon
Mix as for any cake, ie cream butter, mix in sugar, mix in egg, then add flour/baking powder and liquid alternately, mix in extract, poppyseeds and lemon zest. put batter into a greased and floured pan and bake till done, when a toothpick comes out clean.
bake @350F for 20 minutes (or more, depending on your oven)
I like to put a glaze over the cake, mixing and heating about a quarter cup of suitable liquid with some sugar, then brushing it over the still warm cake or cakelets. In this case I added some sugar to the lemon juice that I squeezed from the lemon (that I removed the zest from earlier)

You can make this a mocha cake by using coffee instead of lemon juice, vanilla instead of lemon extract, and cocoa instead of poppyseeds. Or any other variation is possible on this general plan. I have a good recipe for a 4 egg pound cake too, but sometimes all you want is a small cake, not cake for multitudes, and this one is really good for that. It makes a good plain cake as well, with milk for a liquid (and no cocoa or lemon zest or poppyseeds)
~ :: ~
Tomorrow is all about studio work, I've got some settings to make for enamels finished before 12th Night
~ :: ~

No comments:

Post a Comment