Gersvinda returned my fruit picker, along with about half a bucket of tasty pears from the tree at her mother's house. As per the last few years, most of the pears are destined for the dehydrator, to make yummy dried pear slices, though I may have to make a pear tart as well. or something?
Today was the first day of plum harvest. I will never not be grateful for the feral plum thicket, and the delicious fruit that recurs without any input from me. Today I realised that the best way to begin picking on a fully laden branch is to start as high up as can be reached, rather than at the bottom, as I had been doing. Since as the fruit is picked, the branch begins to rise as there is less weight, which also makes the lowest plums on the tip easier to reach. D'oh! It will be several days before I have gathered the plums I can access while standing, and then it will be time to deploy the fruit picker for several more feet of reach. Another nice thing about prune plums is how simple they are to process for freezing, all that is needful is to cut in half and pop out the pit; easiest fruit save blueberries...
※※※
The body was no more crankypants than normal at bedtime last night but by the time I returned from my morning bike ride my right leg had become excruciatingly painful. Sort of a combination of SI joint and hip with a tinge of sciatica. I'll rub it with some salve and hope for improvement, since a shower and a nap did no good at all. I
※※※
Despite being rather lame today, the dishes and laundry must needs be dealt with. The kitchen needs the space to prepare fruit, and it makes sense to take advantage of the warm sunny weather for line drying kitchen cloths, and bedsheets, both of which benefit from the ultraviolet sunlight.
※※※
September SMART goals (x=extra)
September SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | a dozen tetras | porch valance | plum logs |
| 2 | tiny doll shorts | mask elastics | oldest pinafore |
| 3 | Almandine clothing | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | x |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. Gersvinda and her truck will help me get to and from the garden center that has trees on sale later this week.
2. catching up on Mt Washmore and Mt Dishmore
3. several pounds of pears!! Huzzah for mutual aid
Time of Isolation - Day 1520

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed