I've been having a very cranky back for the last week, ever since I reached up a bit too high to try and put the studio clock back on it's hook. It hurts more when I lie down than when I've been moving around for a bit, and hurts worst when I get up in the morning after I've been asleep. It is something different than any back pain prior, and since it isn't improving, probably should get myself over to the doctor sometime soon, since it is definitely affecting my activities of daily life.
for the purposes of holiday food I am calling this pie, since it is fruit baked atop a tender crust, then glazed...
½ c butter
1 c flour
¼ t baking powder
½ c sugar
1 large egg
3 or 4 Bosc pears, peeled cored and cut in half
cinnamon sugar
apricot or quince jam
1T lemon juice
Combine flour and baking powder and set aside. Cream the butter with the sugar in a different bowl. Add egg and beat in. Gradually add the flour, the dough will be very soft. Push/pat the dough into the pan to form an even flat crust. I have used a variety of pans, a 10" tart pan + a 4" pan, a 10" rectangle pan, (the Original Recipe calls for a 14" pan, but I've nothing that large) Arrange the pear halves cut side down. I usually use the last bits to fill in the gaps. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake at 350F until the crust is golden brown, around 40 to 45 minutes. Melt jam with lemon juice and brush gently to glaze.
※※※
When I saw this article online, it reminded me of this short story I read a few years ago
※※※
March SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | red enamel samples | bathroom undersink access | some driveway moss |
| 2 | turn buttons | - | recycle bin |
| 3 | 6 tiny books | - | yard waste bin |
| 4 | 2 velour sports bras | - | recycle bin |
| 5 | Stromgard enamels | - | recycle bin |
| 6 | velour sports bra | x | yard waste bin |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. quince jelly adds a special flavor when used to glaze fruit tarts... combined with the pear tart tonight was just amazing!
2. I have a piece of corned beef in the freezer, set aside last year, so I can cook that for Sunday dinner along with a bit of colcannon...
3. Today the weather was lovely, and there are white violets scattered here and there across my front yard. I managed to get outside enough to notice them. And there was a bird up high in the tree in the neighbors yard singing very sweetly when I was hanging the laundry out on the clothesline...
4. I have the miniature bookcase my pal Vesta gave me hanging on the wall next to the computer zone, and every time it catches my eye it reminds me that gone is not forgotten...
Time of Isolation - Day 1350

No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed