Sunday, September 15, 2024

fragments from week 2

in which our plucky heroine notes the ups and downs...

One of the better parts of the last week was Gersvinda and her trusty truck, and being able to bring home a Bosc pear tree from the 25% off tree sale at Portland Nursery. Her work schedule makes it challenging to spend time together, so it is a treat when the stars align. And it was her suggestion, when the closer nursery had only one scraggly espalier left, that we go a little further and check out the other site... Bingo, there weren't many pears left, but Bosc was one of the three varieties I had on the list... so... it is currently in the backyard waiting for me to decide where to plant it. I am considering near the fence and adjacent to Feral Grape (who will need to be pruned back). There is a big pear tree next door, which will be good for pollination...

Acantha, during our conversation earlier this week about garden planning and flowers and such, suggested that I pay attention to what sorts of outdoor yards and gardens that I find appealling, while I am out and about on my bicycle... Well, I never thought to do that in all my years!
※※※

~ Mx Green Jeans ~
>
The belated last of the week 11 pants project is this pair of cargo pants for Almandine. Here she is hanging out while I type this blog post; the shelf my monitor sits on is cluttered with bits and bobs, but makes it clear as well how very tiny the tinyfolk are.

This is actually the last week of the 13 week Tiny Wardrobe Challenge, and the garment of the week is a handknit cardigan. I will probably feature the one I made for Opal, back a few months ago when the challenge started. Mostly because I want to spend more time enameling and less time playing, now that the weather has cooled down. Eventually though, I do want to try making a tiny handknit cardigan with the faux cables that Dawn shared a link to a while back...
※※※

Time to start thinking again about items and planning for the Advent Swap. Here are two different origami containers: This simple masu-style box is a classic; folded from 3½" square paper it makes a perfect 1¼" box for packaging up treats. This twist-top storage container is a bit more tricky to make, but would be great for flat treats; start with a 5" x 2½" rectangle to make a 1¼" packet...
※※※

I've been continuing to try and rest, and stretch, and ride my bike, all in the hope that my CrankyBack/Hip/Haunch will stop being quite so cranky. There has been some improvement - it isn't waking me up at night. I don't know if stepping up onto stairs is still problematic (as I found out last week at the transit center); Acorn Cottage is thankfully all one level. I was able to put my socks on this morning, with difficulty but without tears. Getting old is not for the weak...
※※※

This is a lovely illusion, but since Instagram won't share it here, you will have to go see for yourself...
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 a dozen tetras
porch valance
plum logs
2 tiny doll shorts
mask elastics
oldest pinafore
3 Almandine clothing
- recycle bin
4 - - yard waste bin
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. BLT made with homegrown tomato
2. Acantha is brilliant! Looking at peoples yards is a good way to figure out what I like and what I don't like, and a good way to start thinking about design of outdoor space.
3. today was cool enough that I had to put on my chore jacket in the evening.

Time of Isolation - Day 1526

1 comment:

  1. When we were thinking about our landscaping project, anytime I was out and about I made special note (thank goodness for phones with cameras) of things I really liked and would hope to include, whether it be plants or flowers or a hardscape item that I liked. Our front steps were inspired by a house that had all brick in a similar design to what we ended up with. I also made note of things that I saw over and over again, so as not to include them, but search for more interesting, not so obvious, choices. I think one of the reasons why neighborhood folks have delighted in both the progress and finished project is because we included things that were not just repeated two doors down. Note to self in next life: If at all possible, don't wait 30+ years to do something that makes me smile every day!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed