Monday, September 16, 2024

detected inspected selected injected

in which our plucky heroine makes some small forward progress...

※※※

~ spooky season plans ~
I want all of my tinyfolk to have something special to wear for Halloween, and when Ursel gave me some two-tone orange striped cotton fabric, it seemed perfect for a zigzag bias gored skirt. I adapted the flared skirt pattern to have eight gores, and marked a bias grain line in order to get the desired effect. If I make a PDF of the pattern piece, it could be shared to other fans of the Tiny Rag Doll Nation...

It was easy to sew the gore seams, and I simply backed it with my usual thin cotton lawn, following the normal directions. I didn't want to make it reversible, since there were so many internal seam allowances already making the skirt quite stiff. It then occurred to me that adding a bit of black lace edging to the hemline would make it even more appropriate for the season; it didn't take too much time to use my handy black Sharpie pen to "overdye" a bit of the same tatted lace I'd used on Opal's slip dress.

She is right pleased with her new skirt, which will coordinate with the future orange crocheted top prize when it arrives. So far I have one orange and black stripey handknit dress, one black linen pleated pinafore with an orange long sleeve top, and one orange felt pinafore decorated with an embroidered bat (that still needs a dress, probably black or grey). I have a few pointy witchy-style hats from last year. I do want to make a "tiger head" hat similar to the deer head hat I made back in September of 2020, possibly with a matching apron?
※※※

After much effort finally managed to find a pharmacy I could get to fairly easily to get a current covid booster. Took a few hours over several days to track down somewhere that was local (ie on transit or by bicycle), accepting walk ins, and had Novavax, but now I'm up to date on my vaccinations for the time being.

I mean, I am not a web programmer, I am an artist, but I could envision a simple website that would allow one to find out what vaccines were available where, without having to go through multiple pages of enter-data documents before finding out that there were no appointments, or that the desired flavor of jab wasn't available at that site, and then having to do it all over again for each location of that particular drugstore or grocery store chain in the metropolitan area. (there were sites like that earlier in the pandammit,  but now those are gone) After much time wasted that way, I decided today to try phone calls instead. There is a special hell for whoever invented phone tree bots. After 2½ hours, I achieved success!

... in a while, I'll get the flu vaccine for this winter; I like to get them separately in case of side effects, though I will say that I've had practically none from any if the various COVID vaccines, the only thing that wrecked me was my first and only attempt at the pneumonia vaccine. Not allowed to get that one again, sadly... wish I could, as I've had pneumonia five times (in the Before Times), which is part of why I make such an effort to avoid covid.
This song is from back in 2020, when the hope was for a sterilising vaccine, that would allow for a safe return to the Before Times social behavior. We're still not there, but the vaccinations we currently have do provide some amelioration of the worst effects of the virus. I'd not ever want to return to the mass deaths and fear of the first year of the pandammit, but I do miss the feeling of "we are all in this together", before disinformation and polarisation divided people
※※※

my sweet good neighbors dropped off some more homegrown tomatoes on my front porch! Nom nom nom!
※※※

September SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 a dozen tetras
porch valance
plum logs
2 tiny doll shorts
mask elastics
oldest pinafore
3 Almandine clothing
- recycle bin
4 skirt for Opal
- yard waste bin
5 -- -
6 x x
x
7 x x x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. managed to find and get a walk in Novavax jab today that was close enough to ride there on my bike
2. really pleased with the new spooky season striped gores and black lace skirt for Almandine
3. replacement correct size Yaktrax showed up today

Time of Isolation - Day 1527

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed