Now that Wellington has gone home, I find myself looking towards the chair that he usually inhabits with a sense of loss. Companionship, however briefly found, is a sad thing to lose. This afternoon I made three 1" sq handpainted valentines, and matching envelopes made from laminated origami paper. For the tiny folk that live with Kestrel in Olympia, from the tiny folks that live here, these will be sent out in Monday's post.
The owl says "OWL always want you for my valentine!"... The bee says "please BEE my valentine?"... The fish says "you are my o-FISH-ial valentine pal!"
※※※
A week and a half ago, after finding this tutorial to make spun cotton hearts, I glued up their armatures from Q-tips. Tonight I mixed white glue with water and began to adhere the first layer of cotton. It really is pleasing how quickly even a thin layer of fiber turns them into heart shapes. Rather than bake them in the oven, I will just let them dry naturally overnight and see how they look.
These will, once all the layers and decoration are completed, become a set of ornaments for the Advent Swap at the end of the year. So far I have six rainbow fibulae for January, and these hearts will be for February. If steady progress happens, I will be prepared by October with enough for two complete sets of tiny gifts.
※※※
This afternoon I started a new audiobook "Remarkably Bright Creatures"... Only on the second chapter so far; hopefully it will continue enjoyable and I will be able to add it to my list of books for this year.
※※※
February SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | "wing it" vest | more broach handles | recycle bin |
| 2 | tiny valentines | black keyboard covers | - |
| 3 | - | - | - |
| 4 | - | - | - |
| 5 | - | - | - |
| 6 | x | x | - |
| 7 | x | x | x |
| 8 | x | x | x |
| 9 | x | x | x |
today's gratitudes -
1. Clover wonder clips for sewing (instead of pins)
2. free tutorials on YouTube for all sorts of makerie
3. I enjoy doing "spun cotton" as a sort of easy inexpensive sculptural activity, and making things for the future Advent Swap is a way to tell myself I believe there will be at least that much future!
Time of Isolation - Day 1668

I loved Remarkably Bright Creatures! Another book you might like is Letters From Skye: A Novel by Jessica Brockmole.
ReplyDelete