Friday, December 27, 2024

Betwixtmas

in which our plucky heroine assembles a calendar...

A year calendar is a action of belief in the future, or at least in a future, however tenuous and uncertain. And as I want that future to include art and creativity, and handcraft, so my calendar for 2025 is made from twelve images of pages in my 100 day stitch book project.

That project, which took up almost a third of 2023, was an exercise in very incremental progress, the pages being stitched for fifteen minutes every day. I had no specific plan going into the project, other than to use materials already on hand, though was given some special vintage scraps from friends. It was all very improvisational, and at the end it all somehow fit together and became more than just random noise. As my motto states: "proficere lente sed proficere" (incremental progress is still progress)

Which seems to me like rather a good analogy for to approach the future... Do a little bit every day, use what you have, accept useful things offered to you, and appreciate happy accidents.
※※※

~ day 27 ~
a length of very fancy trim, ⅞" wide by almost a yard long... this might turn into tetra charms, or make some individual pincushions, not sure, but expect that at least some of it will become tiny gifts for next year's advent swap!
※※※

Last night just before bedtime I got a wild hair, and stitched up the coyote flannel into a pair of pillowcases just the right size for my buckwheat hull pillows. New flannel is so cozy.
※※※

Isn't "betwixtmas" a wonderful word! I just ran across it yesterday. It is, of course, the week between Christmas and New Years.
※※※

December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 rainbow cowl tassels
more clothesline
recycle bin
2 85 origami squares
cardboard down
random book parts
3 heraldic potholders
set up paperwhites
recycle bin
4 pine needle stars
grey linen pinafore
yard waste bin
5 solstice sweets
bandana hem
yard waste bin
6 2025 calendar
calendar pages
recycle bin
7 flannel pillowcases
keyboard key cap  x
8 x x x
9 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. my hole punching tool was still set up with the jig and spacing from the last time I made a calendar, which made today's tasks a bit easier
2. I found a spool of marled brown and white bakers twine, perfect for the calendar hanging cords
3. Took the digital images to the copy shop, and had a twenty calendar set printed out for the coming year... Now after dinner I am doing all the cutting/trimming and hole punching so at least some can be mailed out. Might not get there right on January 1st, but will be pretty dang close.

Time of Isolation - Day 1625

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed