Sunday, April 30, 2023

a cobby little book

in which our plucky heroine remembers "done is better than perfect"...

My 100 day stitch book project is finished, and the pages turned into a book. It didn't look quite how I expected it to, being more chunky, more floppy, and less even about the edges than I imagined at the start. I learned a great deal over the 100 days though. I am thinking that I need to create a clamshell box to store it in, and also that my next 100 days will be dedicated to "progress and process in printmaking", as there are both specific projects, and a number of different skills I really want to explore...

~ 100 day stitch book project - done ~
Last night I stitched together all the pages in the correct order to assemble the book. The tab and slot construction is very clever indeed. I did most of the stitching on the machine, but closed up all the openings with hand overcasting. The more layers I had included in the areas where there were seams, the more bunchy the book became. It looks rather like a little Fjord pony.

If/when I do another stitch book project, I will be sure to choose base fabrics that are thin yet sturdy, and also not run my stitchery all the way to the edges, which should make construction slightly easier. I have no idea how the folks that used, say, denim for their base pages have managed. I also now understand the appeal of leaving the edges of the pages raw, rather than stitched and turned, though that wasn't the effect I was going for here.
Here are all twenty pages, tagged with their page numbers and laid out in the order they will be stitched together (rather than in page order) before being assembled into book form...
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 page 15
taxes done
jars to Mud Bay
2 custom Tullia daypack
shoes painted blue
recycle bin
3 page 16 and 17
shoe elastics transferred
extra plant pots
4 page 18
roses on shoe toeses
yard waste bin
5 page 19
light fixture replaced
grapes to compost
6 page 20
some ferns pruned yard waste bin
7 stitchbook
hardy fuschia pruned recycle bin
8 x apple partly pruned
x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitudes -
1. I discovered today that there is a lot more depth to Terry Pratchett than silliness. This delights me and gives me a whole catalog of books to read.
2. cooler weather today, good for walking and bike riding
3. I learned a lot about design and perseverance from the 100 day stitchbook project

Time of Isolation - Day 1047

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed