Sewing Nomads meeting online this morning was a treat, as it always is (though not usually as plagued with internet instability) I am feeling encouraged to continue making time for sewing my chore jacket project by their curiosity and interest. Plus I am certain that when it is eventually completed I shall find it to be a steady and frequent part of my wardrobe, as will the future raincoat that the chore jacket is itself a toile for...
so pretty and so sweet smelling, these are the flowers of the ornamental plum trees in my front yard. (not to be confused with the plum thicket in the back yard)
※※※
There has been yet a fourth inquiry about my enamel regalia. I don't remember how long it has been since I had this many orders, indeed, the last two years work has been practically nonexistent. And one of the medallions will be a little different than most, requiring some collaborative preparation from Mr Dawson. My hands are too small to be effective at engraving, so he will be doing that part for me.
Betwixt and between various other work and recreation, I've been slowly making progress on my outerwear. After several hiccups the chore jacket is about ready to have most of the pieces assembled. I had hoped for a grey corduroy to overlay the shawl collar, as a design nod to traditional Carhartt coats, but what I thought was grey was in fact a much more blue-grey than the taupe-grey of the denim.
So, this very well re-used black fancy corduroy turned out to be the best choice after all. Rather than run it all the way down the full length facing, I wanted to stop it about at waist level, and rather than a simple straight seam across, instead the corduroy is an overlay, thereby using the denim as a sort of interfacing for the shawl collar, and I have cut a decorative cloud line to the bottom edge, finished with some bias cut ikat binding. I'll be using the same ikat bias binding to finish the inside edge of the facing. Said facing will have buttonholes at intervals, to allow for a button-in lining for warmth when needed. I may also face the sleeve ends with the corduroy, again in reference to "work jacket wear"...
※※※
March SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | tiny tulips | more compost liners | yard waste bin |
| 2 | tiny crocus | mended gloves | recycle bin |
| 3 | yet moar tiny books | more apple pruning | books to LFL |
| 4 | little ladle | tiny bucket handle | recycle bin |
| 5 | tiny aprons | acquired 2021 tax forms | - |
| 6 | x | clock movement replaced | - |
| 7 | x | x | - |
| 8 | x | x | - |
| 9 | x | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - Later today I may have a porch visit from some friends!
Time of Isolation - Day 734
No comments:
Post a Comment
Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed