Thursday, April 15, 2021

little bit further than you gone before - day 34 (year 2)

in which our plucky heroine makes another bit of progress...

Today started off most excellently, with a package in the mailbox that was an unexpected treat. I then managed to go out for a walk before breakfast, if only about a mile. Might go for another walk after dinner, it is crazy warm and sunny here! (why did I not get sunglasses last year when I ordered new spex?) Thursday afternoons K and I connect via video and focus on declutter or other challenges, so much easier with someone else "there"; today I cleared the mess from my workbench, either putting things away, or finding better ways to store things. It now looks inviting rather than dreadful. I have an idea of making a sawblade holder for the benchtop, that will allow for labeled sections for each different fineness of tooth. Every small improvement makes a big difference.
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
Tuesday night was a Caid College of Scribes class on drolleries in the Luttrell Psalter, and we practiced both copying examples, and creating our own combinations... it was fun! Today I spent an hour or so in the middle of the day watching a presentation on Manuscript Crafts put on by "The Háskóli Íslands Student Conference on the Medieval North: A student-organized conference intended as an interdisciplinary forum for students of Old Norse and medieval Scandinavia." Learned some new things about pigment availability, and some additional details about bookbinding. Hoping to learn more in the future about Carolingian style calligraphy.
※※※


※※※

at the very end of 2020 I did some pattern hacking to my TNT knit top pattern. Adding a turtleneck option was very successful, as most of the time when wearing a long sleeve knit top, extra warmth is the idea. Adding "thumbhole cuffs" turned out to be a less desirable hack, as it turns out that for me my handknit mitts are preferable to the longer integral thumbhole cuffs, which I find are somewhat awkward to wiggle out of for hand washing, and which look quite odd when folded back. Since I dearly love my mushroom print tops, I decided to remove the offending portion, which left the cuffs narrow but acceptable. Cut off the thumbhole edge, leaving the cuffs as long as possible (1¼"), basted the raw edges inside on the outer and inner layers, basted them together, and then hand stitched in an overcast as close to the edge as possible, Alabama Chanin style. It was relaxing handwork during an evening Zoom meeting, and the knit top is much more pleasant to wear now.
※※※

beauty in the time of isolation:
there are a few outliers in the assorted springtime flowers in the front border. The only tulip, and a red that clashes with everything else in the yard, but I cannot bring myself to remove it. Some Queen of the Night tulips, in almost black, would look quite splendid with the hyacinths and violets... perhaps the red tulip could get relocated to the front corner planting, and given a few colorful friends to add delight to the sidewalk passers-by
※※※

April SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 wire planter cage
cover smaller sleeve board
yard waste bin
2 prototype mesh wash bag
cover larger sleeve board
recycle bin
3 5 jars blood orange marmalade
baby plants repotted
bag of fabric
4 3 jars Awesome sauce
skirret cage adapted
bag of fabric
5 4 jars strawberry rhubarb sauce
temporary biffy
bag of fabric
6 two large blue planters
remove thumbhole cuffs bag of fabric
7 x x bag of old fur
8 x x -
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - a care package arrived today from my Mud Bay pals: an assortment of Japanese stationery stickers, a lovely little notebook with three different kinds of paper inside, and a card from Kestrel, decorated with Totoro stickers. There is little that I love more than I love kid art.

No comments:

Post a Comment