as we are all here in the balance point between seasons, I'm minded to notice signs of spring, both in the small world that has been my enclosure for the last year, and in the outer world. I needn't call your attention to the many terrors and troubles that beset us, media both social and antisocial does that without my assistance. Rather, I attempt to share the small crumbs of hope that are also always there. Without science, I'd not be here in the bright world at all, for cancer would have gathered me in, as it did my childhood friend the same year I was diagnosed.
almost 24 hours since jab #1... vaccination site in upper arm is a bit sore, but not enough to have impaired sleep or affected movement. I think that my purposefully moving my arm a lot yesterday in various range of motions, and drinking almost twice my usual amount of water made a difference. Just enough very mild discomfort in my arm that I can tell that my immune system is getting the message...
My friend Matthew Michael created this charter design, an interesting visual concept that gives the effect of a fragmentary artwork, uncovered by archaeologists. I've chosen to play with the idea by painting it as if it were a fragment of a mosaic/stone floor (which is even slower than my usual snails pace scribal efforts, but I am loving how it is turning out... another few hours and it will be finished.
※※※
I signed up to participate in Athenaeum, at the end of June. It is an SCA Arts & Sciences display event, so rather than a competition, instead of judging there is an opportunity for feedback, which is all I ever want anyway. Am going to think about which items to include, and what things I want to try and work on prior to then. My primary categories are enameling, scribal, embroidery, and block printing, with an assortment of additional kibbles and bits.
ornamental quince flowers really early in the year, much earlier than fruiting quince... the buds were a few weeks ago, and now in the alleys here and there the vivid red flowers are a delight! I would really like to add one of these shrubs to the yard here at Acorn Cottage
※※※
A friend is hosting an online Zoom high tea party tomorrow. The sort of tea with little sandwiches, and scones with jam and cream, and tiny cakes. I have a teapot with a handknit cozy, and a fancy teacup. I have some shortbread stashed away, and bread to make a few wee sandwiches. So now I want to try this recipe for making one scone. Because I don't need a whole batch of scones for just me. But just one scone would be fun, and possibly repeatable...
※※※
March SMART goals (x=extra)
| # | THINGS MADE | THINGS FIXED | THINGS GONE |
| 1 | Kestrel kuspuk | darned Totoro gloves | recycle bin |
| 2 | 6 jars orange marmalade | power bar kitchen | random books |
| 3 | 5 jars applesauce | power bar workshop | recycle bin |
| 4 | horseradish | long power bar computer | extra apples |
| 5 | charter #1 | rain capelet binding | - |
| 6 | Black Ice cardigan | new mask elastics | - |
| 7 | charter #2 | new mask nosewires | - |
| 8 | 6 jars sumo marmalade | x | - |
| 9 | - | x | x |
| 10 | x | x | x |
| 11 | x | x | x |
| 12 | x | x | x |
| 13 | x | x | x |
| 14 | x | x | x |
| 15 | x | x | x |
today's gratitude - an entire internet full of recipes




Your scribal work is just so impressive.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a little girl, there was an abandoned basement down the hill where flowering quince grew. I thought it looked like miniature roses clustered on a stem.
Flowering quince DOES look like tiny roses, (perhaps because they are in the same plant family? as are apples etc)
DeleteOne scone! This could be life-changing! Seriously, I don't know why this had never occurred to me. I usually avoid anything with sugar (any sweetener) but every so often I crave a bite of something sweet. I could definitely handle a single scone.
ReplyDeleteLove your mosaic fragment design.
The one scone recipe worked really well. I might need fresh baking powder though, as mine didn't really rise as much as I would have expected.
Delete