Monday, March 22, 2021

illuminations and minor delight - day 10 (year 2)

in which our plucky heroine notices a lightening of spirit...

not just in the literal sense as the year slowly turns toward longer days, but that somehow post first vaccine there is a sense of potential arising. While I know that the overall slow slide towards disaster that is western "civilisation" is not changing, the micro level of individual life here may at least for a time improve. While I cannot imagine returning to unmasked public life, I can imagine being able to feel the touch of a friends hand, some of the hugs we have so missed over the last year. There may be some bright spots in the unknown future. One keeps a light on in the window, that hope may find her long lost way here...
※※※

~ creativity challenge ~
 
So this weekend Ursel and I were chatting about how difficult it is to find commercially available ceiling lights at any kind of affordable price point that weren't hideous. I woke up this morning with a brilliant? idea... what if I used commercial basic fixtures for holding the light bulbs and attaching to ceiling, but created my own "lampshades". Given that LED lights do not throw out much if any heat, it should be possible to use paper mache/reed structures to diffuse the light, rather like my bluebird lantern, or the HiiH artist light fixtures. Years ago, I learned how to create sculptural reed/rice paper lanterns at a Procession of the Species workshop put on by the Fremont Arts Council. It would be fun to revisit those techniques, and to make something creative and beautiful in order to finally rid Acorn Cottage of the Horrible Ceiling Fans.
※※※

 
※※※

The scone for one was a successful experiment. The recipe worked well, though I made a few changes: decreasing the salt to a pinch instead of a quarter teaspoon, and substituting two T dry milk + 2½ T water for wet milk. The scone didn't rise as high as expected, which may be a function of the age of my baking powder, but the texture was quite good. This will be a good recipe for shortcake season!
※※※

March SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 Kestrel kuspuk
darned Totoro gloves
recycle bin
2 6 jars orange marmalade
power bar kitchen
random books
3 5 jars applesauce
power bar workshop
recycle bin
4 horseradish long power bar computer
extra apples
5 charter #1
rain capelet binding
-
6 Black Ice cardigan
new mask elastics
-
7 charter #2
new mask nosewires
-
8 6 jars sumo marmalade
x -
9 - x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Bob's Red Mill dry milk, and dry buttermilk are shelf stable ways to have dairy on hand for cooking. This has proved invaluable over the last year. While not a good substitute as far as flavor for drinking, for soups, sauces, and baked goods they work really well.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy and excited for your good news--halfway through the vaccine process! None of us knows what the new normal will be, but we'll figure it out. Best wishes,
    Laura, a follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I am hoping that going forward we all will do what we can to take steps together to a world with more equity and kindness

      Delete
  2. Alison, I'm a long time reader and admirer of your blog and creations. I hope you don't mind the suggestion. My aging mother used to make fantastic scones. She was quite forceful in her feedback to "be gentle" when making scones. (My daughter and I both laugh at the memory!) You have to handle them as little as possible. She used to cut them with a glass and then lean them against each other to help them support each other.
    PS I really feel for the US at the moment - hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn T... I recognise your name. I certainly do not mind the scone suggestion! I was in fact quite gentle with the scone dough, but perhaps it would have been better to form it into a thicker disc. I definitely want to try making the recipe again, and I will report back on my results.

      Delete

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed