Monday, December 28, 2020

Monday miscellany

in which our plucky heroine finishes some things, and begins others...

It has been a rough few days, and it isn't over by any means. Mom was transfered to a rehab facility. Fortunately it is close to where my Dad lives, and he was able to see her through a glass door today, when he went over there to bring her some clothing and her eyeglasses. The two times I called over there it was almost impossible to speak with her over the phone, as there was a lot of ambient noise, and her answers were monosyllabic. I remain worried. I hope we can find a way to have her return home safely. I keep myself sane with knitting and other handwork, and watching Ruth Goodman on the BBC historical programming
※※※

observe the proto-cardigan... the yarn I ordered from Iceland on December 2nd arrived on my front porch today! I foresee many pleasurable hours of slow knitting in my future, (even with all those three-color-rows) as I gradually work my way through making a Mandelbrot lopapeysa cardigan.
※※※

~ 100 day creativity challenge - day 79 ~
.
Finished knitting the new "dawnlight" partlet (to replace my beloved and long lost "nightsky" partlet). This time I left better notes on Ravelry about the changes I made in the pattern(s) for future reference. I really really like the textural Roman Rib knitting, which is simple but extra cozy, and the border I modified works really well with it... am considering the option of a self designed sweater using the same stitches. As always, midwinter brings with it a great desire to knit!

※※※

beauty in the time of isolation - day 289:
The winter has been fairly mild, and all sorts of flowers are either still blooming, or have begun to bloom. This one is unknown to me, but lovely!
※※※

We just finished up yesterday with our online daily reading aloud group for "The Dark Is Rising", and the consensus was yes for reading aloud continuing, but that once a week or so would be better than daily I was noticing that knowing that there was no reading today gave me a small sad, and concomitant with that, the realisation that knowing that there was a thing happening each day that was contact with other humans was somehow deeply reassuring to me...I am still mulling this over.
※※※
 
started new navy mushroom knit top for SWAP 2021... cut out the pieces, and once the body and sleeves were stitched together, realised that I ought to have cut the neckline higher, as a turtleneck top usually has a jewel neckline. Since there wasn't enough fabric left to cut a new front panel, I am going to experiment by creating a shaped turtleneck collar, cut deeper in the front. Every project something new is learned...
※※※
 
December SMART goals (x=extra)
# THINGS MADE THINGS FIXED THINGS GONE
1 tiny patchwork
Nandina's nose
recycle bin
2 2 Kiki biscornu
worm bin rebedded
yard waste bin
3 2 sample masks
dainties bag patched
yard waste bin
4 spiral tea towel
x
recycle bin
5 new spice rack
x knitting sets
6 10 wire stitch markers
x moar cardboard!
7 dawnlight partlet
x x
8 wall caddy
x x
9 x x x
10 x x x
11 x x x
12 x x x
13 x x x
14 x x x
15 x x x

today's gratitude - Yesterday my friend Marya brought me black-eyed peas from the grocery, so I am now set to be able to cook the ritual new-year meal. And we actually went out for a walk, all masked up and socially distant but walking around like friends do! I have not done that since maybe sometime a year ago... It felt not-lonely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends: your courteous and interesting comments will soon show up here once read and approved, but spammers and trolls will have to play somewhere else. It helps if you add your name to your comment, so I know who you are... Please be patient, as I am sorry that this layer of moderation is now needed